Jenn-air Gas electric range door will not unlock

Old 09-27-04, 06:10 AM
Scottyj
Visiting Guest
Jenn-air Gas electric range door will not unlock

I have a 3 year old jenn-air Gas electric range (model SVD48600). I started the self clean process last week and partly through it the unit beeped and gave me a F3 error code (open or shorted temperture sensor). The unit then stayed locked and the oven fan is running. I have turned the unit off for 24 hours, but after turning it back on the door is still locked and the fan still runs. The burners work fine, the oven/ broiler/ or self clean will not go on and I continue to get the f3 error.

1) How can I unlock the door?
2) Should I assume that I need to replace the oven temp. sensor?
3) A neighbor said a simular thing happened to her and the cost was 200 bucks to fix. The repairman said to not use the self clean process as the lockdown offen is the result. Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-27-04, 05:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Scottyj. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Several thoughts come to mind.
Be sure the handle to the locking device is straight. Even slightly bent will not allow the lock to fully release.

Or the locking device is defective. In this instance you will need to unplug the appliance from the wall electrical outlet, access the locking device throught the front panel, manually release the lock.

Than check the tiny micro switch which may be stuck shut. That can cause the error code as well as the failure to release the locking device. Which is not worth fixing or repairing, in my opinion also.

Below is the lnk to Maytag, which makes the Jenn-Air as well as the phone numbers directly to Maytag.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Code Meaning:
F-3 Open oven sensor or harness. Replace the oven sensor.

Suggestion. Since the temp sensor is not the reason the door lock will not release, dispite the code being shown on the display, do not replace sensor at this time. Work on the locking device.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information.

Old 09-28-04, 09:27 AM
Scottyj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your suggestions

The door is nice and plumb. The auto lock feature seems to be stuck. I will unplug the unit tonight and see if I can get the front panel off. I know I can get underneath it, and I will assume that I can get to the top by going through the range. maybe the website you listed will give me a schmatic. Any hints to unlocking it with out forcing it?

Old 09-28-04, 01:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Scotty

Your quote: "The door is nice and plumb."
Not referring to the door.

The >handle lever< has to be level and not bent either horizontally nor vertically.

A trick, that sometimes works to release the locking device, is a thin blade screw driver or knife put between the handle lever and the latch. May be able to unlock the lock without removing anything. Just be sure the electrical power is turned off.

Old 09-30-04, 10:24 AM
Scottyj
Visiting Guest
OK there is no handle lever

Maybe I am misunderstanding you. The oven door has a handle. The lock in question is a autolock and built into the unit. There is no manual lock with a lever (like I have had on other ovens). When I look at the top of the door. I do see a shiny cyindar in one crack. there is also another crack behind the door handle that is harder to reach. I have jiggled the door and tried to free it if the autolock is stuck. I do not see any lever. Is there something that has to be pushed in one of the cracks? Like a hood release on a car?

If you mean the oven door handle, I will try to use a scredriver tonight with the power off. Otherwise to get the the lock, I have to take the range top off and see if I can reach it from there. Does this make sense?

Old 12-22-04, 06:08 PM
Dan Rice
Visiting Guest
I have same problem

I have same problem that occured during self clean on a frigidaire slide in stove and can't open the door and I don't want to start unscrewing the whole oven. this might be the same oven. Did you ever get it figured out? The advice given here does not work for me either. The stove is about 3 years old and does not have a manual lock unlock lever.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: