stove making noise?

Old 09-27-04, 03:24 PM
ehrichweiss
Visiting Guest
stove making noise?

First of all, I tried to search for this but had no luck at all with the search engine(they really gotta improve that for these boards..but I digress)

We've got a Magic Chef Series 30 stove that when we turn one of the burners beyond around Med-high, it starts making a "thwup...thwup" sound; the same sound they sometimes make when you first light them. It looks like it's blowing out part of the flame and then relighting but I can't figure out why or what's causing it. My mother's stove had the same issue but it was dirty and as far as I can tell, this stove is clean. None of the other burners do it, so it's pretty localized. To let you know, the Series 30 had pilot lights and no electric igniters so that's not it...

Any suggestions?

Old 09-27-04, 05:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello ehrichweiss and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

The noise you are hearing is most likely repeating ignition from the ignition port on that one burner. Usually can be solved by adjusting the air opening shutter on the burner tube.

The air opening shutter is located at the back end of the burner. It has a tiny phillips head screw securing it in place. Loosen the screw slightly and slightly close the shutter to restrict less air from entering the burner.

Do not close it much. Doing so will stop the popping sound but cause yewllow burner flames which will soot the pots and create carbon monoxides. Close shutter only enough to stop the noise and constant flashing at the burners ignitions ports.

The ignition ports are the tiny holes on the burners head facing the pilots flash tubing. The flashing tube faces to the pilot. The popping sound comes from that constant flashing at the ignition ports.

Be sure those ports are cleaned. But do not enlarge the holes. Use a pin to clean or clear them if need be.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: