Flame height on stove?

Old 09-28-04, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flame height on stove?

I currently have a nat gas stove and the flame is what I expect. I guess what I mean is that the flame height is what I noramly see on other stoves. I'm having a new home built and it has propane. I stopped by to see the progress and they have the new stove installed so I turned the sucker on to see if it was hooked up. Sure enough it was working, but the flame was low, about half the height of my current nat gas stove. Can someone tell me if this is normal on a Propane stove? If I hadn't read on line that a cubic foot of propane had more BTUs then Nat Gas, I would have thought something was wrong. Plus, knowing that gas stoves use a smaller orafice make me think it's normal also. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for reading me ramble.......

Old 09-29-04, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Joe

If the stove is setup to burn propane form the factory and the propane fuel is supplied to the appliance at the correct pressure, all should be fine.

Newer appliances have small flames for energy efficiency than do the older appliances. If the flames appear smaller, all may be well. Since the appliance is new, having it checked by a service rep is advisable. Any do it yourself attempts should be avoided to maintain the original warranty.

Have the propane suppler recheck the delivery pressure first. Than the plumber recheck the fuel supply volume through the supply pipe and fuel lines within the house. May be a restriction somewhere.

When all that checks out and all other gas appliance are determined to be working correctly, likely hood is the stove is working as it should. No do it yourself service should than be done or likely is needed.

Old 09-29-04, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stopped by the house again and the builder had the stove marked to be checked to make sure everything was working with in spec. About the idea of a lower flame for energy savings makes sense as the home I'm having built is a EPA Energy Star home with all energy star appliances. Only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that I feel it's now going to take longer to heat/cook anything in addition to using just as much fuel to get whatever to the temp I like it do to the longer time period. Whew, what a run on sentance.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: