Kenmore gas range - Broiler don't work

Old 10-05-04, 12:47 PM
searay1
Visiting Guest

My kenmore gas range (Mode 790.75609104 purchased 8/22/02) will not work in the broil mode. Everything else works fine (including the oven and rangetop gas burners). I tried resetting the power but no help. I seem to get the right indications on the control pad, but nothing happening inside the oven.

Can you provide me with any help to troubleshoot this problem? I have a multimeter and some experience in electronics. I guess I should have purchased an extended warranty for this baby. Anyway, thanks for any advice you can offer, I greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-05-04, 08:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello searay1 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Since you have a multimeter, remove the hot surface ignitor and test for power at the wire terminal end where the glow ignitor plugs into. be sure the control panel is set to on for that function.

If power is there, the ignitor is most likely burned out or the control selection switch is defective. You can unplg the appliance and test for continuity. Same results will be determined.

If there is either continuity or power at the wire end, the ignitor is defective or burned out. Replacement of the ignitor is than required. If the control panel is a touch pad, the pad may be defective or the circuit controlling the broiling function is defective.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Help & Manufacturers Web Site Help:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-10-04, 09:31 AM
searay1
Visiting Guest

Thanks for your assistance. I see no glowing of the ignitor when broil mode is selected. I checked for power at the ignitor connector, but with it disconnected I get an error when I select the broil mode at the keypad. I traced the ignitor feed wire back to the circuit board and was able to check power at pin two of the connector without disconnecting it. When the broil mode is selected, there is a slight delay, then the broil light comes on. When the light comes on, I see the voltage jump to 115VAC. I measured continuity between pin two of the circuit board connector and one side of the ignitor connector, and it is good. I removed the ignitor and upon closer inspection I see what appears to be a crack in the element. I hope this is the problem because I ordered a new one for $70. Once I replace it, I'll send more info. What is your assessment?
Searay (headed for the Oktoberfest!)

Old 10-10-04, 09:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: searay1

Diagnostics and assessment good. Likely the ignitor is defective. Replacing it should resolve the problem, if a crack is visable. Lets hope so. If not, touch pad or computer board may be defective. Both of which are not inexpensive.

Additional Online Help Here:
Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Old 11-09-04, 02:25 PM
searay1
Visiting Guest
Replaced the igniter and the Broiler is back in action. Steaks tonight! Thanks for the assistance. Searay over and out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: