Baby Socks Killed My Dryer

Old 10-11-04, 07:42 PM
ColdClothes
Visiting Guest
Question Baby Socks Killed My Dryer

I have an Amana gas dryer (2001) and my wife decided to dry a load with the lint filter on top of the dryer instead of IN the dryer. Needless to say, the dryer drum came to a crashing halt and we seem to be missing some baby socks. I was able to rescue some clothes from the lint trap, but I believe the baby socks are now gumming up the works. Anyone know of a quick fix before I have to call the Amana man?

Old 10-11-04, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: ColdClothes

About the only way I know of to get out any clothing article drawn into the air duct to the fan blower is to open up the cabinet. Likely that lost sock is stuck in the air ducting.

Might be lucky and able to fish it out with a wire hook if it is visable. Try using a coat hanger wire. Cut the top off the hanger, stretch wire out and form a small hook on one end. Fish it into the opening and attempt to pull out that lost sock, etc.

If that is not successful or possible, remove the entire front panel. May have to open the top lid first and then remove any screws holding the front apnel on place. Screws may be inside door frame and may be some at the base of the front panel. Models differ and checking around is required.

Once front panel is removed, drum will drop down some. Comes off the support bracket attached to the front panel. Look for blower housing and follow the ducting from it. Likely that lost sock stuck in ducting, etc.

Should also clean out the entire inside of the machines cabinet while it's opened up. Remove all lint to prevent internal fire. Lint is very flammable.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: