Kenmore Gas Range PROBLEM!!

Old 10-18-04, 03:26 PM
Ed D
Visiting Guest
Angry Kenmore Gas Range PROBLEM!!

I have a Kenmore gas range and I have had a continuous problem with the oven NOT LIGHTING and NOT KEEPING UP THE SET TEMPERATURE. Come to find out, the oven does not keep the set temperature because the oven does not light when it should. This is due to the electronic ignitor not working properly. I had Sears replace it twice (at a high cost), and I replaced it myself once, now it is acting up again!!!
I am aware what the electronic ignitor does and how it works, but are all these ignitors just plain JUNK?? I will be on my fourth one in three years. The Sears guy said they can last from one day to forever?? He also said that one company makes these ignitors for all the brands of gas stoves. Is this correct?
I was told by someone else that Sears parts are no good and to buy the electronic ignitor from anyone but Sears and it will last...I am ready to go back to an electric stove so that I will be sure that my Thanksgiving turkey will be cooked. Someone please HELP!! Thanks, Ed

Old 10-18-04, 06:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Ed and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Hot surface glow ignitors can last for years or days. That is correct. Another one can be purchased at any retail appliance parts dealers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the (HSI) glow ignitor bar is weak.

A defective solenoid in the gas control valve can also cause this type of problem. The solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnet which energized with current.

When the coil gets hot, it losses the electrical charge and the valve the solenoid is holding open closes. Replacing the gas control valve resolves the problem if it is the gas valve that is causing the problem.

Turn off the gas to the oven. Remove gas valve and replace. Gas control valve is the part the two wires from the glow ignitor connect to and the back end of the burner tube sets on.

Whether Sears parts are good or not is personal opinion. Cannot say. Would be only my opinion. But you can bet the part is not made by Sears. Neither is the oven. Most are made by Whirpool or some other company with the Sears name plate on it.

Not many companies make the ignitors. So that is correct. Appliance parts stores usually only stock two or three brands of the same type that oven uses. May have better luck buying parts ignitor and gas control valve from them.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Old 10-19-04, 01:37 PM
Ed D
Visiting Guest
Gas Range??

Thanks to Sharp Advice for their suggestion.
The coil seems to get bright yellow but the gas valve did not open. I tapped the gas valve with a screwdriver and the valve opened and the flame lit! This has happened each of the times,(3), that I replaced the ignitor.

I ordered a new gas valve about a year ago but I did not change it because the ***** service technician stated that the problem is with the electronic ignitor and not the gas valve. He said that when you have to hit the gas valve to open, it is usually the fault of the ignitor???

Do you suggest that I change the gas valve. This would be great if it solved the problem..
Ed

Old 10-19-04, 03:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hi: Ed

Yes. Replace the gas valve. Some appliance service companies employees are required to change the gas valve with every HSI replacement. Doing so ensures good operation and also avoids call backs when valve fails shortly after ignitor installed.

Self install of ignitor is not warranteed. But having it done professional has a warranty of about 60 to 90 days. As some luck would have it, during the warranty period the valve fails.

Customer cannot be charged for the service call and labor, only the part. In this state anyway. So installers loose money for service call and labor. Not done correctly the first time, done for free under warranty. But if both parts replaced together and one fails, manufacturer pays the labor and part costs.

In that fashion, service agent or company looses nothing. WIN-WIN. All parties happy. So replace the gas valve, since you already have it anyway. Use caution on the part while twisting the nut loose. Tubing cannot bend.

Hold valve with backup wrench. Loosen and remove tubing nut, THAN loosen and remove valve. Reverse to install. Soap test nut fitting when done with gas on to insure no leak exists. Post back the results.

BTW:
Might be tough reinstalling gas supply tube back into new gas valve. Nothing uncommon. Apply oil to threads and start nut with fingers to be sure threads do not get cross threaded.

Suggestion:
Apply Oil, any kind of household 3 in 1 or like kind, to tubing nut threads before threading it in. Oil reduces thread friction and allows nut to be tighten easier and completely.

Caution:
Do not use pipe compound or tape on tubing nut to valve threads. Doing so creates more problems than you can imagine. No tape or compound.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: