Gas dryer wiring diagram, or just some help?

Old 10-21-04, 07:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas dryer wiring diagram, or just some help?

I have a JC Penny gas dryer (made by GE), model # 86157400090. It's at least 10-15 years old, probably more.

I removed the gas valve assembly to replace the glow ignitor, in the process broke one of the connectors on the flame sensor so I also replaced the flame sensor. My problem is that I have two wires that I'm not sure where to connect. Here's their description:

From the main wiring look there are four wires, three of which (black, red, cream) go into a white plastic male plug, and this mates up to the female version on the side of the gas valve assembly. The fourth wire, pink with a female electric connector, is one that I'm not sure of.

The flame sensor has two male electric connectors, I know for sure the wire that connects to one of them(it's the one whose connector broke off when I tried to seperate it, and it's black ). There are two wires that come from the gas valve assembly and head towards the flame sensor. One, the black one, I just mentioned. The other one, white, probably goes to the other flame sensor male connector. But I'm not positive.

Also possibly the pink wire, mentioned earlier, goes to the flame sensor. And I haven't found a male connector anywhere else where I could plug this pink wire(from the main wiring loom) in.

To summarize, I have a pink wire(female connector) from the main wiring loom, and a white wire(connector also broke off and missing...not sure whether male or female) coming from the gas valve assembly and pointed towards the flame sensor...and I have one empty male connector on the flame sensor. Probably the white wire goes to the flame sensor, and that leaves the pink wire with nowhere to go. And I know it goes somewhere!

I tried the GE web site looking for an owners manual, but the model number doesn't work there, so it's probably a JC Penny model number or the dryer is too old.

Does anyone know where this pink wire probably goes. Any hints would at least give me a direction to look. Is it a ground wire? Does it go somewhere other that the gas valve assembly? I took this stuff apart more than 6 months ago and so I don't remember this important detail.

Regards to all do it yourselfers,

John

Old 10-23-04, 07:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: John

I do not have a specific answer to your question regarding the wiring to that specific machine. All wires should be in terminal quick disconnects. Only exception usually found is a green wire used as a ground. Wire colors vary widely and can change based on models and machines year of manufacture as well as mid year changes and options on a specific machine.

Every machine I have encountered had a wiring diagram on the inside back upper panel or inside the cabinet somewhere. Put there during the assembly at the factory and used by a tech whom services the machine if problem had to do with wiring, etc. May have been removed by a prior service tech if machine was ever serviced prior or diagram is likely to still be there somewhere, etc.

May possibly get one from local appliance parts dealers or privately owned appliance parts stores. They usually have them on CD now. Often but not assuredly they will print one copy for customers, if customers where to ask.

Not sure any online web site would have diagram either. Not usually the type of info offered on web sites. Web sites are there to sell parts only. None I know of offer wiring diagrams for viewing or selling. Could be one or more but none I am aware of.

Old 10-29-04, 03:54 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Mr Sharp Advice. I figured the wiring out after I found a broken double electric connector on the old flame sensor.

I now have another problem with the running of the dryer which I'll ask about in a new message.

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: