Converting gas dryer to propane

Old 10-22-04, 07:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting gas dryer to propane

In the near future I'll be moving to an area without natural gas supply, so I hope to be able to convert my gas dryer to work with propane. I looked at the main jet in the gas vavle assembly and it is a 42T. Are these jets easy to obtain, what would be the correct size for propane, and is there a pressure regulator that would have to be adjusted or changed?

The dryer is more than 10 years old (JC Penney made by General Electric) and if I can't find another jet I could probably solder the jet hole and resize it.

Thanks for any help,

John

Old 10-23-04, 05:17 AM
S
Most after market repair facilitys will have the parts.
Braze instead of solder.

Old 10-23-04, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: John

Should be no problem finding an orifice (jet) at the local appliance part store in the area. Look for the appliance part store(s) in the phone book. All the info that is needed to take with you is the BTU rating of the burner. Which is stated on the mfg ID plate. Will be either 18,000 or up to 22,000 btu's.

To convert the appliances regulator, all the needs to be done is to turn over the cap on the regulators tower. Tower is on the gas control valve. Look closely at the cap. Should be marked "N" or "NAT" for nat gas. Other side will be marked "LPG" or "LP" for propane.

Side facing up, that you see is the fuel reg is currently set for. Should now be set to "N" or "Nat". Unscrew cap, flip it over and reinstall. Fuel conversion for the reg is now done.

Verify with counter person at the appliance part store where you purchase the replacement orifice. I do not recommend nor suggest any attempts to modify the existing orifice. Never seen one done correctly (reducing hole size) using the method you described.

Drilling out an orifice to a larger size to convert to nat from propane can be done and usually successfully but not from nat to propane. And even that takes some skill. A little more to it than just a hole, as it appears to be.

Old 10-23-04, 04:15 PM
J
Thanks all for the ideas, braze does sound better than solder. Can I braze using a small propane(or MAPP gas torch), or is an acetylene torch required?

Also, about flipping the regulator cap...there is a 1.5 inch tower just next to one of the solenoids(on the gas valve) and it has a screw-on cap with the words "vent" on the top. Could that be what you were refering to?

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: