Gas Cloth Dryer

Old 11-14-04, 06:43 PM
gpatel
Visiting Guest
Gas Cloth Dryer

Hello Everyone: I am a new member and I am posting first time, so execuse me if I make any mistakes.
I am trying out to fix my MAYTAG cloth gas dryer model LDG7600AAW. It seems everything works. I have opened front panel and can see that igniter
comes on and even flame comes on and in 20 seconds or so the flames
goes off. I have even tried without any clothes in dryer, it stiil does the same
thing.
Because of this very short period of flame staying on, I believe it is not
providing enough heat to dry any clothes. It takes couple of hour to
dry a small load. I do not see any restriction in exaust side. For that matter
nothing heating enough to create the overheat problem.
My questtion are solinoids on top gas valve are bad? What about gas valve?
How do I check the solinods?
I am handy with elctriacl meter.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-14-04, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gpatel. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you are positive there is no restrictions in the venting system and have tested the dryers operation with the vent removed from the machine, chances are one of the solenoids is defective.

The solenoid coils are mounted directly on top of the gas valve. Each has a wire harness assembly with a plastic quick disconnect attached. The coils must be removed and replaced.

To accomplish this task, the entire burner and gas valve must be removed. Then the solenoid coils can be removed from the top of the gas valve and replaced.

The gas inlet pipe to the right side of the gas valve has a tiny on/off gas shutoff valve. Turn it off, lever opposite it's current on position. The nut on the gas supply pipe near the gas valve is counter threaded, which means it turns opposite the norm to loosen it.

There will be other sheet metal screws securing the gas valve and burner assembly to the dryers base. Once the entire gas valve is removed, take it and the make, model and serial numbers of the appliance to the local appliance retail parts store.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate and replace them both if defective. They are sold only in pairs.

Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

Once at the store, the salesperson can be sure the replacement parts are the correct ones. Replacing the solenoids is simple and the parts come with full instructions inclosed in the packages.

Flame Sensor could be the problem. This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it will cause the glow coil to not function or cause the problem you're describing. You can test this part with a continuity tester or an ohm meter.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item! Replacement is the only option, if defective.

Gas Dryer Help Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model & serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for additional problem solving information and original replacement parts. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

If you need further assistance, use the relpy button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method or methods provided.

Old 11-14-04, 08:49 PM
gpatel
Visiting Guest
Thanks for Advice
How could I test the solinoids? Also I have taken out inspected
both solinoids, I do not see obevious defects.
By the way I have taken flame sensor out and cleaned and reinstalled
it on burner as original. Can you give some ieda how to test this part.
It look like photo cell. I suppose igniter glow make it send current to
valve and flame keeps that function on till the timer tells it shut the
gas supply off and flame is out. There are two wire going to flame
sensor and I checked for electrical supply, when dryer in functioning
mode, both wire showed voltage relative to ground on body of the dryer.

I have checked for parts and they are available. My family is after
me to buy new dryer, but there is satisfation in fixing something,
which only few people can appreciate.

Thanks
keep up good work
I will help as much as I can.

Old 11-14-04, 09:11 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello; gpatel

Should be continuity at all terminals for solenoids. Problem is there most likely will be until in operation. That is when the heat they generate causing the short inside one of them and it fails. not worth the time or labor to test. Replace them. Not expensive and easy enough to do.

Falme sensor should show continuity meaning a closed circuit when ohm tested. An open circuit indicates a defective sensor. Same may apply. Heat causes the part to fail. Replace the solenoids first. Likely to resolve the problem.

Old 11-18-04, 09:17 PM
gpatel
Visiting Guest
gas dryer

Thanks Sharp:

I have isolated thermostat on burner tube to be getting too hot. I replaced it
with new one and it still heats and cut the circuit off.
I by passed this particular thermostat and flame stay on.
During this process I check the status of this thermostat and after the flame
start in few second the thermostat shows open circuit.
This means that area around burner tube is getting too hot. So would you
please show me some repair path I need to take. Does orifice in old dryer
may be problem creating too bigger flame. How can I keep temperatue
in burner tube low enough to keep flame burning til it really get turn off
by timer.

Thanks for your help.

gpatel

Old 11-19-04, 05:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: gpatel

I do not think we are following along here. Diagnostics is a step by step process. The process is not going in that manner based upon what I can determine.

You should not have to be bypassing or jumped across the flame switch sensor at this point in the diagnostic process. You should have focused on the solenoids. Reason is, you replaced the flame sensor already, >the part you are referring to as a thermostat on the burner tube< to no avail. Did nothing to solve the problem. Not likely to either because it is not the cause of the problem.

The burner tube area is not likely to be getting too hot either nor is the flame too large. Unless the orifice is too large, etc. Which is not likely either if no changes where made to it or any fuel conversion made or done.

The dryer worked fine until the problem developed. Or I have to assume so or you have not disclosed any prior problems, changes or conversions. If this is all correct, than the burner is fine and the flames are not too large nor is the burner shroud area too hot, etc. etc.

Most of the above I base upon this section of your reply:
"Does orifice in old dryer may be problem creating too bigger flame. How can I keep temperatue in burner tube low enough to keep flame burning til it really get turn off by timer."
Old dryer? What old dryer??? Does this indicate or imply there is another dryer??? A change of parts between two dryers??? The flame sensor is not the part that controls the heat nor the temperature in the dryer.

Main point here is to focus on the solenoids. In my opinion, simply replace them. Not testing needed. Likely hood is the machine will work properly, all other systems working as they should. Nothing else has change from any testing or work you have done to them.

Old 11-22-04, 09:27 PM
gpatel
Visiting Guest
gas dryer

Dear Sharp:

Thanks for advice. I have not changed anything on this dyrer before. No
conversion of any kind before this problem. I understand you thought I
changed the flame sensor. No Sir I did not change the flame sensor. I
printed a part diagram from the manufacturer's website for this dryer.

As I can understand, what I changfed is button like control with two
ears which shows close circuit when it is cold. Also it is mounted on
burner tube with hole right underneath this device.
When flame comes on in few second this device's two terminal shows open
circuit.

I am about to give up, because my family after me to go on without
mashing with this dryer. May be last effort for all my doityourselfer friends.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks.

Old 11-23-04, 06:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
gpatel

Your quote:
"I have not >changed< anything on this dyrer before"

Your quote:
I have isolated thermostat on burner tube to be getting too hot. [COLOR=DarkRed]I >replaced it with new onechangfed< is button like control with two ears which shows close circuit when it is cold"

When you replace the two solenoids and the dryer works as it should, post back the results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: