Gas cooktop needs electrical hook up?

Old 11-15-04, 11:39 PM
Jslice
Visiting Guest
Gas cooktop needs electrical hook up?

Hi, I ordered a gas cook top from sears last week and it should be here tomorrow. The one I currently have in my home is pretty old is lit by a pilot light. It is just hooked up to a gas line and has no electrical outlets or anything near it.
After taking a look at the product specs on my new cook top it has a 15amp circuit listed under the power source.

This is the cook top I purchased:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ab=spe#tablink

So does this mean I will have to run electric to my cook top? I have done a little electrical work in the past and can run a line from one of my outlets in my garage as the kitchen is against it. Will this be ok? And is there anything else I should do? Thanks - J

Old 11-16-04, 03:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello J.Slice. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The appliance has an electronic ignition system. Which means it has no constant burning pilot flames. Instead, electric sparkers ignite the burners. So there has to be electric power supplied to the stove top.

You will have to have an electrical power source under the counter in which the cooktop will be installed. If there isn't any already there, an electrcial outlet has to be brought to the location. Outlet also has to be grounded.

The stove cook top will have a three prong cord. If there is an outlet close enough to plug it into, any outlet will do. Not much of a current draw needed but the appliance must be plugged into a grounded outlet.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information and or questions. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: