Gas smell from oven?

Old 11-19-04, 03:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas smell from oven?

We recently bought a house that has a gas stove. I have never had a gas stove in the past. When using the range there is absolutely no gas smell and everything seems to work fine. When using the oven it seems to take forever to preheat and there is a slight gas smell the entire time it is running. We called the gas compnay and they checked for leaks and said this is normal, just crack the window and turn on the fan. I have a hard time thinking this is normal and people put up with this smell when they are baking? The gas smell is only present when the oven is on. Not when everything is off or the range is used.

Old 11-19-04, 05:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello mjferguson and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Ovens that have a gas odor only when on, do so for three likely reasons.

1)
The aluminium tube that supplies gas to the burner gas valve usually comes from the thermostat. Which means, on some models, the burner gas flows through the thermostat to the burner. One those models the likely hood is the tubing nuts are leaking. No gas flows throguh the tube(s) unless the oven is on and the burner flames are visable.

2)
The burner itself is not adjusted correctly or not all the ports (holes or slots) in the burner have flames coming out of them. The ones without flames may not be lit but gas is still coming out of them. They cannot light because one or more of them is clogged with debris so that hole, slot or port isn't light and cannot light the next one down the line.

3)
One side of the burner is light but not the other side of the burner. That's because the cross over port, holes and or slot is clogged up. Which means the pilot or ignition lights one side of the burner only. The other side lights from the cross over port to light the opposite side of the burner.

The cleaning aspect you are likely to be able to resolve. Be sure all holes, or slots on the burner has flames. Those which do not are clogged. Clean them to open them. Same applies to the cross over ports, holes or slot.

The leak at the tubing nuts will require you tighten the nuts. Using caution so as not to break or damage the part the nut screws into. Will need a backup wrench or grips to hold the part inplace while tightening the nut(s).

Best leak detection method is to use "Leak Detection Soap." Mix per instructions. Not having that, a soapy water solution made from commonly used dish soap will do fine. A slightly thick mixture to insure the soapy water remains on the parts and will still allow bubbles to form. A small cupful will do fine for the purpose.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Old 11-20-04, 08:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem...

OK, I think I may see where the problem is. I don't know much about gas ovens so you will have to forgive me if I don't explain this too well. I took the bottom plate off an there is one bar running down the middle with the thermostat (I think) on the back. Both sides light, but right where the thermostat is the bar is corroded and there is an orange flame coming from this area when the oven lights. There are also flickers of orange flames all the way done the bar. I think I probably need to replace this bar? Is this something I can do? This is a 8 year old Kenmore range. Any idea on a ballpark figure as to what this will cost me? Thanks for the help.

Let me know if you think the problem is coming from somewhere else. Flame seems to be coming from all the holes, but it is not the same size flame all the way from front to back. Seems to flicker a bit?

Old 11-21-04, 06:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: MJ

The thermostat is directly under the temperature setting knob. Which is always above the oven and on the outside, not inside the oven. Therefore, not likely the part you are refering to. For clarification only. Not meant to imply anything else. Understood you are not likely to understand the terms for the parts, etc.

As mentioned prior, a leak is very possible at any connection between parts where there is a tubing nut used to connect the parts. On some models the tubes only have gas in them when the oven is turned on and the burner is running.

Which explains why the odor is present only when the oven is on. You will now need to focus on this aspect to determine where that leak is that is causing the odor is comming from.

Orange flames may be simply dust and or debris burning, which often happens when the burner is made of cast iron material and not aluminum. In the oven you have, the burner is not iron nor cast iron. It is aluminum. Thus the orange flames are likely to indicate restricted burner ports, slots and or holes, whichever type is used on that specific burner.

Orange flames with/plus small flames (both) can indicate a defective gas valve also. The gas valve is the part the burner tube end is setting on. The burners tube has an adjustable air shutter on it. The gas valve part which the burner tube rests on is or could likely be defective. Not opening fully. That part would than need to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: