GE built in oven wont maintain temp

Old 11-20-04, 08:31 AM
bud8man
Visiting Guest
GE built in oven wont maintain temp

We had an ingnitor replaced about a year ago on the unit because it would not light, for $300.
Now it comes on, goes to temp, and then that's it.
The pilot element comes on, but the oven wont lite again.
Wife wants to get a new unit, but she really wants to get a new kitchen in the next 5 years....
Is this oven a bust? or is this a simple fix?
model JGRP18GEL3BG

Old 11-21-04, 08:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello bud8man. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

One of the possible causes is a weak ignitor. Granted, may be considered new since the parts is only one year old but that does not mean it is operating properly. Hot surface glow ignitors (HSI) are not made to last very long but usually last more then one year.

When an ovens buner does not relight after the first time, that may indicated the gas valve is weak and or defective. Try this trick. When the condition happens again, tap the gas valve or the burner tube with the back end of a screw driver.

Doing so should snap open the gas valve and the burner flames should appear. If that tap or tapping results in the flames appearing, the likelyhood hood is the gas valve is defective. It's internal valve is not opening as a result of sticking shut. The gas valve would than need to be replaced.

Always best to replace the gas valve and the HSI at the same time. Regradless of the age in time of the HSI. As mentioned prior, an HSI is not a long life part nor worth not replacing when there is a need to replace a gas valve.

Old 11-22-04, 04:59 PM
bud8man
Visiting Guest
Can I fix this myself?

Or should I call in a pro.
The banging on the pipe resulted in flames every time.
I consider my self somewhat handy....but any guess on what the parts would cost.
Looks like the charge to fix the broiler was about $200...
Or would I be better off with a new 24" in wall unit?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Wall+Ovens for $522 from GE or
or a kenmore for $476
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Wall+Ovens

Old 11-22-04, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: bud8man

There is no way I could advise you on what to buy. That would be a personal choice based upon factors I could not consider or know.

What I can tell you is to call the local appliances parts stores in your area and inquire what the two parts would cost. Ball park figures would be about $75.00 for the ignitor and $35-$45 for the gas valve. Labor is free...

The banding or tapping on the burner tube to make the gas valve open is the trick and one method to determine if the gas valve is defective. Replacing both the hot surface ignitor (HSI) and the gas valve as a pair works best.

If you are reasonably handy with hand tools, this project is not as difficult as presumed. May be worth a try. Save you some money, since your labor time is free.... Not feeling handy? Contact a local appliance service person whom will be glad to install the needed parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: