'Caloric' Stove Top Conversion to Propane

Old 11-22-04, 06:01 PM
JRudewick
Visiting Guest
Question 'Caloric' Stove Top Conversion to Propane

My husband and I are in the process of enlarging the kitchen of our weekend home. We purchased a very nice but gently used 'Caloric' range top. The couple we bought it from said they had been using natural gas and we needed propane. The lady spent an hour trying to find the owners manual, but was unable to do so. The instructions inside the unit indicated that the orifice hoods need to be screwed down for propane to be used. We really thought that we could figure this out.

My husband had converted our oven to propane when we purchased it, but then he had a manual to guide him with illustrations. Not having the manual for the range top is making this difficult.

I have scoured the internet for a place to download the owner's manual.but I am having trouble discovering who owns/owned the Caloric brand. I have seen references on everything from Amana to Maytag. The model number is (I think) RTP307.

We have made the regulater switch by flipping that screw so that part of the conversion is fine. The burners are shaped like small tapered towers. We have looked and looked for something around the burner to tighten and there is nothing. Could these orifice hood adjustments be in the assembly that is located under the knobs?? And what might we be looking for there??

Any help for either the adjustment or where to find a lost or missing manual would be greatly appreciated. This is a wonderful service, especially for those of us who enjoy the pride of being able to say we did it ourselves.

Thanks...

Old 11-22-04, 06:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up No Manual Required. Instructions Here

Hello JRudewick. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The burner orifices are the brass or bronze thimble shaped parts the back end of the burner seats on. Close to the gas valve under the knobs. The orifices have hex nut ends, which accept a 7/16th inch or 1/2 inch open ended wrench.

When looking down onto the hex nuts, they are turned counter clockwise (right to left) to close them down, which reduces the flame size. Left to right opens them which allows larger flames.

The ovens burner orifice turns clockwise to close the orifice hole making the flames smaller and opposite to inlarge the flames. Oven burner flames must not exceed the span of the flame spreader plate above the flames.

Flame spreader is the flat plate on the burner tube. Flames should be in wards from the ends of the spreader at least one inch to two inches. Oven flames that are too large with cause yellow flames, soot and odors.

Top burner flames are not to exceed one to one and a half inches above the top of the grate when nothing is on the grate. Top burner flames which are too large will create soot on the bottom of pots and or pans, produce odors and melt pot or pan handles, etc.

To convert to propane from natural gas, the orifices need to be closed down. Turning the top burner orifices counter clock wise when looking down wards onto them, will close orifices down and reduce the burners flame size.

Old 11-30-04, 02:09 PM
JRudewick
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks so much.

Just wanted to hop back in here and thank you. My husband headed down to our weekend home just before Thanksgiving and in 10 minutes, he had found the proper screws, had everything tightened down and a lovely, controlled, blue flame spewing from the burners. The next morning I was able to cook a full breakfast of eggs and hash browns on the stove top without having to worry about why the flames were so long and tipped with yellow. I also no longer had to listen to my husband mutter under his breath "That's what you get when you buy used and then fail to get a book!". He now feels like we got a real bargain when we bought the item from a swap shop on the radio. I appreciate your taking the time to reply and giving us exactly the information we needed. This is the best thing..... Thanks.

Jane

Old 12-09-04, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on fixing your problem!

You have run into one of the appliance service problems: consolidation.

For example, Caloric was bought by Amana. Maytag now owns Amana. Parts and service information sometimes suffer in these transitions. The accumulated memory and experience of the pros on these forums is not duplicated anywhere!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: