Kenmore Self Cleaning Oven Problem

Old 11-27-04, 08:16 AM
levinll
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Self Cleaning Oven Problem

My relatively new Kenmore Gas Oven (Model #665 75824000) produces an error code whenever we try to use the self cleaning feature. After setting up the oven to begin self clearning the following error code shows up on the LCD.
E1 - F5 -

Can someone tell me what this means and if it's possible for me to fix this ?

THanks !

Old 11-27-04, 09:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The error code F5-E1 appears to be a defective door latch/switch. Replacement is recommended. It appears that this can be done by a DIY'er. The switch should be around $30-$40. Not sure if your oven is still under warranty but I would check. Befor you replace anything. Unplug the stove for a few minutes(20-30) while it is off check the switch to make sure its functioning(moving in and out) also check the latch to be sure its not hanging up on anything. Plug the oven back in and see if anything has changed. The reasons for unplugging is to let the computer reset its self.
Good luck and post back.

Old 11-27-04, 07:23 PM
levinll
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I'll give that a try !!

Old 11-28-04, 03:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello levinll. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Additional help below:

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Whirlpool:
Range/Stove Oven Fault Codes, Common
F5 - E0 F5 - E1 and E2 - Check door/latch switch - Replace switch if defective.

Generic Fault Codes:
F5 - E0 F5 - E1 and E2 - Check door/latch switch - Replace component.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first. Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-29-04, 05:07 PM
levinll
Visiting Guest
Still getting error code

I did as majakdragon suggested but I'm still getting an error code. As I was pulling the oven away from the wall I noticed Tech Sheet for my oven attached to the back of the stove. I read it over and noticede that a door latch mechanism controls the door latch. I was wondering if there is away to test this mechanism without replacing it first ?

Old 12-21-04, 06:59 PM
I don't believe there is a way to check the switch that is reliable. Sometimes the switch will check out good when tested only to show up bad when the power is reconnected. If you remove the switch you may find a wire broken or burnt that is causing your problem. An appliance repair center may have a dummy appliance to check switches. The replacement switch isn't that expensive or hard to replace. The reason you are getting the code is beacuse the computer is not recieving the signal that the door is closed and locked. Repacing the switch and checking the wire(s) should give you the answer your looking for.
Good luck and reply back if you have further questions.

Please accept my appology for the untimely response.

Old 12-22-04, 05:15 AM
levinll
Visiting Guest
Joe Homeowner

So can the average homeowner replace this ? I've done some major appliance repair work in the past. Do I need to buy the user manual for the oven in order to find where the switch is located ?

Old 12-22-04, 05:45 AM
Yes, the average homeowner can change the switch.
Turn off all power to the stove.(including gas). Remove the screws that hold the door switch in. The switch will be in the upper front of the oven(where the door meets the inner facing. Disconnect the wiring and mark for reinstallment reference. Obtain the new switch matching the old exactly. reinstall the new switch. Reconnect the power and gas.

You can order a user manual from customer service.... 1-800-253-1301 This is Whirlpools service department. Your model number 665 indicated that it was manufactured by Whirlpool.
Good Luck

Old 12-22-04, 08:55 AM
levinll
Visiting Guest
Could it be

the door latch motor and switch asemlby that's bad and not just the switch (or is that the same part ?).

Old 12-22-04, 09:23 AM
I believe its probably the same part. Never heard of a motor on a door switch in a stove. They may be calling the solnoids a motor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: