Maytag Gas Range stove wont light

Old 11-29-04, 03:04 AM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Maytag Gas Range stove wont light

I have a Maytag Gas Range, and I just develop a problem, one of the burners wont light, the burner is dry and clean, the igniter spark is fine, but there is no gas flow.
This model has a sealed surface burners and the top dose not lift,
I would appreciate some advise on how to fix the problem, and how to assemble the cook top in order to get to the part needing repair.
Thank you.

Old 11-29-04, 04:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello qwer. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Rare problem but does happen. And you will need to use caution. If gas is in fact coming out but not at the burner head, it could be coming out under the top lid cover of the countertop cook top or cooking stove. Which can cause a fire from the pocketing gas under the top lid.

Try this test but use caution. Light a stick match and hold it about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from burner head. Turn on burner brielfy. Try to establish a burner flame. If flame appears and dose so, to normal size, sparker than not lighting flame but gas is coming out where it is suppose to be.

If not flame appears and gas is NOT coming out of burner, immediately turn off burner. Gas may be coming out under top lid cover! Gas pocketing under top lid cover can ignite without you being aware of it.

If no flame appears and no gas to burner, top lid does not need to come off. Remove decorative trim ring plate around burner. Remove burner ring, if there is one. Unscrew burner from top lid and "Look" downwards.

Looking down beneath removed burner head, you will see a bronze or brass orifice. Which has hex nut at it's base and small hole in its' center. The hole may be plugged up. If not gas should be coming out of it when knob turned on. Turn knob to let some gas out "Briefly."

If gas comes out, inspect burner for restrictions from under neath burner. None found, inspect orifice. Orifice clogged? Clear with a pin but do not enlarge the hole. Not gas coming out of the orifice? Gas valve defective. Valve needs to be replaced. Not such any easy task but cab be done.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks when ever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information and or questions. Any additional information you add will than remain within this posting. Using this method also moves or keeps your question at the top of the list automatically.

Apply the instructions above, note the results than post back the findings and or correctional method used.

Help Links:
Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Advertisers & Sponsors Web Sites:
Appliance Parts, Pictures & Help:
http://www.PartSelect.com

Appliances Parts & Help:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com

Kitchen Appliance Parts:
http://www.parts-depot.online.com

DIY'S Gas Appliances Pages:
Ranges, Stoves, Ovens and Appliance Tips.
http://doityourself.com/gasapp/index.shtml

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-29-04, 11:48 AM
Q
Well...

First of all thanks for your help, I determined that when I turn the knob gas is not coming into the burner, rather its accumulating under the cook top.

The next problem is, that I tried taking off the front panel but this is impossible because the end cap has a top screw that is under the top, you can see it here http://edge.maytag.com/B2C/diagrams/51662.jpg

I get the filling that it was made that only certified Maytag technicians will know how to assemble the range

Last edited by qwer; 11-29-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 08:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: qwer

The top secured by screws in burner covers. #6
3 small screw holes for each burner.
Top should lift upwards slightly and pivot backwards.
Note the #1 brackets.
Than front panel securing screws will be accessable.

Old 11-30-04, 01:51 PM
Q
I don't think i can do it myself

The page I linked to was only to show the end cap, it is not the model I have, the model I have and all new Maytag ranges are made with one piece top in order that food will not get in, well I got around all the stoppers and opened the top, and every thing is welded to the bottom of the cook top, what I managed to see is that all the stems leading into the burners were shiny silver, the faulty one was black, I guess I shouldve touched it to see if it was greasy, well now its to late.
My question is it safe for me to handle myself, or I should let a certified tech do the job?

Old 11-30-04, 07:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: qwer

The blackened one may be soot. Meaning the burner has not been burning correctly and may have a problem only a tech can fix. May be best to do so.

Old 12-01-04, 08:17 AM
Q
Thumbs up Thank you

very much for walking me through the problem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: