Can't find gas shutoff valve!

Old 12-05-04, 04:46 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't find gas shutoff valve!

Silly question, perhaps, but I'm replacing my old gas range with a new one, and can't find the shutoff valve for the gas pipes. There is a flexible pipe attached to the underside of the old range, which is attached to hard pipes that run into the wall via a bunch of 90 degree brackets (a few hard pipes kind of curve around using these 90 degree brackets until the pipe makes it way into the wall). There is no shutoff valve - the only thing other than the hard pipes and the 90 degree brackets is a bolt that appears to run through the pipe in one place. That doesn't seem like a shutoff, but nothing else does either... I'm in a 1960's Manhattan apartment building, if that makes the sleuthing any easier.

Many thanks,

Dan

Old 12-05-04, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just a guess here that bolt you say is it brass and on the other side its square. That should be the gas "A "valve for a shut off. Now You only turn it 90o for off on the sq part should be like a line that will show you if its across the pipe its shut off running with the pipe its on. be sure and use the kids bubble stuff after your done so you dont have any leaks.

Old 12-05-04, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

hit wrong key

ED

Old 12-05-04, 05:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Hire A Pro and or Seek Professional Help

Hello Dan and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

There was no code back than that required a shut off valve be installed in the end of the gas supply pipes to appliances back than. So there is not likely to be a shut off valve any where in the piping system.

Which posses a real problem for the do it yourself person. Without a shut off valve at the end of the supply pipe, the risks are too high for an unexperienced do it yourself person to attempt to install a shut off valve while the gas is pouring out of the supply pipe.

Worse yet, in a multiple dwelling complex such as apartments, condos, etc. The complex may be master metered. Meaning there is no individual meter to each unit. Therefore no means to shut off the gas to only your unit where you have access.

Or no isolation line shut off valve in the piping system to or within your unit. Or no seperate gas meter where you have access. Or there may be a header supply pipe. Header supply pipe, supplies gas to many meters and belongs to the gas supply utility.

On that header supply pipe, will be more than one gas meter. May be 20-30 or more. All of which belongs to the gas supply company. Best not to attempt to shut of the gas anywhere without permission from the complex owner, maintenance personal and or the gas supply utility field service rep.

In all above cases or instances, contact the approprite personal and or company, etc. DO NOT attempt to remove and or install a shut off valve to a live gas line/supply pipe. Live meaning with the gas on. Doing so is very risky, dangerous and best left to the plumbing pros or gas company service personal.

Be aware, the local gas company is not likely to be of any help if company policy does not permit service reps to install or remove appliances which do not have shut off valves directly at the appliances. Most, if not all gas companies do not do plumbing. Most gas company service personal do not live exchange or install shut off valves on gas supply pipes.

Except myself.... when I was in the field and the conditions where perfect to do so. And a rare few of my peers did likewise. We did it live. One has to know exactly what to do, when to do it, be presetup to do it and what is expected to happen, every step of the way. When that plan goes wrong, the back up plan has to work or panic sets in....

SUMMATION:
Hire a professional or seek professional help. Not a do it yourself task.

Old 12-05-04, 05:39 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shut off value

Well, you've scared me sufficiently!

the bolt does have one square side. Given that (and that it may be the shutoff mechanism as Ed described) do you still think it needs to be done by a professional, or will turning it 90 degrees work?

I was also thinking I could turn it 90 degrees, then turn on the burners and see if they all go out after a while, which (I think?) would indicate that the gas was off?

Last edited by dms276; 12-06-04 at 07:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: