Whirlpool Gas Range

Old 12-10-04, 06:08 AM
Mark Hedahl
Visiting Guest
Question Whirlpool Gas Range

I don't know if I am doing this right, I am a new member so here goes.

I have a Whirlpool Gas Range with electronic ignition and recently the module board had to be replaced...now the new module keeps over heating and am afraid to use it for a long period of time. Have traced all wires and found no shorts in the system. The house is run on a generator system, could this be my problem. When I use my voltmeter I get a negative reading I have never seen that before. The generator is putting out 117 volts.

It is a Whirlpool Gas Range Super Capacity 465
M# sf379lekq
S# rm4011025

I would appreciate your input

Thanks a bunch Mark

Old 12-10-04, 06:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Many Unknown Factors Need To Be Considered

Hello Mark. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

A lot of possibilities may exist with a condition such as described. And many of the unknowns need to be known and determined if they are all or part of the problem. Which could apply to the generators capacity, wiring from generator, wiring to the house and inside the house, etc.

Electronic circuits and circuit boards, etc are very sensitive to volts and amperes. A constant supply are the correct amounts at all times must apply. Changes in any of the above will effect the appliance.

Example: Generator running a simple light bulb will be effected slightly or drastically when a heavy load is placed on the generator. May be for a very short time or long duration, depending upon many factors and/or conditions.

All of which have to be known prior to assuming the appliance has a problem. Usually any overheated or abnormally warm electric circuit is do to high resistance, lower than normal electric current and or load on the circuit to name just a few of the variences.

May be too many unknowns to accurately determine the possible cause and offer a possible solution, without being on site. The condition may not be with the appliance. Must be tested, if possible with power company line voltage and not with a generator with unknown conditions and outputs during all phases of operation, etc.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information, etc. Any additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-10-04, 06:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generators do not necessarily produce a sine wave of electricity. For lightbulbs or motors this is not a problem. For an electronic device like the module , it may be. Get the spec sheet for your generator and then contact the manufacturer of the module. Also, I suggest you post this question over to the Electrical forum here. They may well have an answer for you.

I don't know what type of meter you are using to measure your gen output. You should be checking an AC voltage scale, in which case it should have any "negative" or "positive" readings. In any event, whatever you measured is a possibler indication that there is a DC component coming out of the gen, and your appliacnce module will not like this.

Old 12-10-04, 04:20 PM
Mark Hedahl
Visiting Guest
Smile Whirlpool Gas Range

Thank you very much for such prompt responce !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: