Kenmore gas dryer cause rust marks and holes in clothing

Old 12-20-04, 10:43 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore gas dryer cause rust marks and holes in clothing

I have a Kenmore gas dryer that is about 20 years old and for about 6 months now we occasionally get rust marks or small holes in some of the clothes that we dry. I have checkd the drum for anything that could do this but the drum looks fine. The only thing I can see that may cause my problem is there is a ring around the drum that the drum turns on. I have no idea if this is the culprit but it's all I see other than the drum. Does anyone know if this is a common failure and if so how do you change this 'ring'? Or should I looked elsewhere?

Old 12-20-04, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not an expert in this field but I read that the leading cause of holes in clothes from the dryer is BRA STAYS that have come out and goe into the drum holes. Just a piece of wire but will do damage to other clothes. Try running your hand or a nylon stocking around all areas of the drum to see if it hangs up on anything.
Watch this post for other expert opinions on your problem. Good luck.
You might also want to check the clothes as they are dried. May be a certain piece that has a ragged snap or fastener that could also cause the rust stains and holes.

Old 12-20-04, 06:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: B. Wilker. Welcome to the Gas Appliances forum topic.

The drum rotates on pads. These pads are attached to a round plastic support part which is attached to the inside of the door. The plastic support wears out as well as those pads. The pads are the surfaces the inside front end of the drum rides or glides on.

When the plastic support and pads wear out, the drum is not running perfectly round. The spaces around the circumference between the support and the drum catch clothes and cause problems.

The solution is to remove the drum and inspect the inside fron surface. Clean it and be sure it is smooth. The plastic support and the pads are likelt to be in need of replacement. May need to also replace the belt. Clean the inside of the cabinet and entire venting system also.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve the problem. Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: