Old Caloric Gas Wall Oven with a "loud burner"

Old 12-22-04, 11:03 AM
CDIMS
Visiting Guest
Old Caloric Gas Wall Oven with a "loud burner"

I have a very old caloric gas wall oven that acquired when I purchased my house. It was probably installed in '78 or '79 when the previous owner did the addition, but the model number is completely unreadible.

My problem with it started 3 or 4 days ago. When we turned the oven on, the burner started making alot of noise, which it had not done before. When I opened the broiler door and looked up at the burner, I could see blue flame that appeared to be "rolling" or "skipping" across the burner. I also noticed that the ROUND glow plug was glowing white to a very slight orange.

A service guy came out, took a look and said he thought it was the glow plug but since he couldn't read the model number and because SQUARE glow plugs were now the norm, I should just get a new oven.

I live on the north side of Chicago in the Evanston/Wilmette area. Any advice on whether or not it can be / is worth fixing; is it something I can do myself; and if so, any recommendations on where to get the part(s).

The wife's not happy about having to cook xmas dinner in the microwave so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-22-04, 01:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello CDIMS and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Be sure there is no aluminum foil in the ovens baking compartment. Nothing blocking the natural upwards flow of heat inside the ovens baking compartment. Nothing blocking the vent inside the oven nor the external grill outside the oven.

Based upon the problem description, this condition is NOT not a hot surface glow ignitor (HSI) caused problem. The round ignitor can be interchanged with the flat bar type, if the round version is not available. And replacing it can be a do it yourself project.

But I highly doubt, based on the problem description, the ignitor is the cause of that type of condition. If the oven is natural gas, not likely to be a pressure problem.

Same likely to apply to a propane unit. Not likely to be an appliance regulator problem either. At least not suspected to be any of the above, at this point in the diagnostic procedure.

Kindly advise which fuel is used:
Nat gas
or
Propane

Any other gas appliances in the house????
If they are working okay, problem is isolated to only that single appliance. If other appliances having like or similar problems or conditions...advise.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Stoves-Ranges-Ovens-Broilers:
Read This Post For additional helpful information:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159808. Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix some problems.

Old 12-22-04, 02:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Just a note of clarification-- Flat HSI igniters cannot be exchanged with round. Flat is a Norton type 3.3 --3.6 amp round is carborumdom type 2.5-3.0 amps The only caveat to this that I know of is Norton style makes one with the carborumdom values but has a blue band around it to idenify as such. The burner noise may be to much primary air. Adjusting air shutter may correct. I have also seen the burner slipped off the orifice causing similar problem(flames all over)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: