Does gas dryer need metal flex vent?

Old 12-23-04, 06:43 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does gas dryer need metal flex vent?

I am installing a gas dryer my cousin gave me which replaces my electric one. I have a plastic vent throught the wall which goes outside(through the wall first). 1 plumber said this would be fine while the other 2 said I should replace it with the metal flexible kind. This plumber is about 25% lower than the other 2 (I am having radiator work done also-replacing 38 feet of baseboard and bringing in a gas line 10' for the dryer). I am questioning his credibility. He is 900 and the other 2 are $1200. Is it a must change to flexible metal? I will do it anyway but is he wrong in saying it doesn't matter? I am in Long Island, NY.
Thanks, Geoff

Old 12-23-04, 07:10 AM
If you currently have the plastic flex hose that has a wire running through it that is "bumpy" I would replace it with the metal. Reason is that those "bumps" catch any lint that gets by the lint screen and cause build up. The metal ones are smooth inside and are not as likely to cause restrictions. Good luck.

May also be a safety reason but my reason was a personal preference. Check local codes as they sometimes require metal vents.

Old 12-23-04, 05:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Geoff. Welcome to the Gas Appliances forum topic.

I'm slightly confused... Kindly clear up the issue.

You're questioning the plumbers credibility about what specific aspect of the entire job? Or the entire job? Or simply the issue of which type of dryer vent to use???? Kindly clarify.

If the issue is the dryer vent line. Install it yourself. It's a perfect do it yourself project that is easy to do once the outside exhaust vent hood is installed. Unless there is already one there, use that one. All the same regardless of what energy source is used by the dryer.

Which type to use? No problem. The accordian metal type is preferred by many and recommended by manufacturers. However, plastic venting is okay too. Providing it is not crushed, bent or has too many angles and/or inclines. Pretty much the same applies to metal.

Only real exception with plastic is it dries out and should be replaced about every two years. Some locals have codes regarding dryer ventings. Check the codes in your area and comply to them. They are designed with safety in mind.

Dryer Help Information Sticky Note:
Gas & Electric Dryer Help Information
http://forum.doityourself.com/editpo...tpost&p=555337

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Maximum Exhaust Vent Lengths:
4 Inch Rigid Metal Ducting with 4 Inch Vent Hood.
#of elbows:
0 elbows...44 feet
1 elbow....34 feet
2 elbows..26 feet
3 elbows..20 feet

Above With 2 Inch Vent Hood:
0 elbows...34 feet
1 elbow....26 feet
2 elbows..20 feet
3 elbows..14 feet

Maximum Exhaust Vent Lengths:
4 Inch Flexible Metal Ducting with 4 Inch Vent Hood.
0 elbows...24 feet
1 elbow....20 feet
2 elbows..16 feet
3 elbows..12 feet

Above With 2 Inch Vent Hood:
0 elbows...20 feet
1 elbow....16 feet
2 elbows..12 feet
3 elbows....8 feet

Old 12-24-04, 07:27 AM
W
Hello,
Thank you both for replying and the informative info. My real question was would plastic venting be acceptable and/or is flexible metal required or a lot better. I wanted to make sure the 1 plumber who wanted to use the existing plastic wasn't wrong or lazy. I purchased the metal flexible venting and will use it. I will also use the cheaper plumber who said he would use it. Thank you for solving my problem. Thanks, Geoff Have a Happy Holiday Season!

Old 12-24-04, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Around here (San Diego) code prohibits plastic duct for dryers for fire reasons. I believe it is an NFPA spec, but not all jurisdictions may enforce it.

Flexible metal dust is limited to 8 feet. Any more must be smooth-wall metal.

Old 12-24-04, 01:01 PM
Some and this is not saying ALL Manufacturers specify that ridged metal ducting is required. Using the plastic or metal flex ducting can void the warranty on said appliance. I would check to see if yours specifies this, I know mine does. If said appliance is out of warranty I suppose you could do as you wish. In my opinion the ridged is best with the metal flex next.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: