Frigidaire - Runs but no heat

Old 01-02-05, 09:53 PM
milkbone
Visiting Guest
Frigidaire - Runs but no heat

I have a Frigidaire Gas Dryer that runs but is not heating. I am not sure if it is the heating element or something else. I tried resetting the circuit breaker and there is gas coming from the supply. The heating element ligths up, but it goes out after a 2 minutes then will repeat it over. I don't smell any gas coming from the unit. I have not tried the ignitor and not sure how. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please help.

Old 01-03-05, 07:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello milkbone and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

Chances are the solenoids are defective. The hot surface ignitor turns on for a brief time than shuts off. Typical of a symptom of defective solenoids. You will have to replace them.

Shortly after the glow ignitor reaches full glow, the second solenoid should click open. Youll hear the second click. If no second click is heard, the glow ignitor will turn off and stop glowing. If this happens, both the solenoids {2} must be replaced.

The solenoid coils are mounted directly on top of the gas valve. Each has a wire harness assembly with a plastic quick disconnect attached. The coils must be removed and replaced.

There are two solenoids...both are on top of the gas valve. Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop.

There are several other possibilities. All of which are covered in detail in prior postings on the same topic of dryers that do not heat, etc. Reading those topics will disclose the potential problems and the solutions.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item!

Flame Sensor could be the problem. This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it will cause the glow coil to not function or cause the problem you're describing. You can test this part with a continuity tester or an ohm meter.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable.

The Fuseable Link:
Check for continuity across this part. It will be located in the exhausts venting system prior to the discharge outlet. If there is no continuity, replace the part. Not all dryers have this part.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve the problem. Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: