Kenmore Gas Dryer Problem

Old 01-17-05, 10:31 AM
ptlmchuck107
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Gas Dryer Problem

I have a 2 and a half year old Kenmore gas dryer. I have had no problems with it up until now. When I press the start button, the dryer will start up. But as soon as I take my finger off the start button, it stops. I thought it might be something wrong with the starter. I stopped in at a local appliance repair place and he thinks it's a problem with the motor. ?????? I'm no mechanical whiz-kid so before I pay for a new motor (plus installation) I'd like to get some other opinions. I rigged a contraption to hold the start button down for now, since the dryer is running as good as the day I bought it. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-17-05, 04:38 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
uhmmm

im just a commercial gas appliance repair guy but i would jump the start button first and probably find that it is faulty and save lots of headaches and 100's of dollars! just my opinion though. p.s. to jump the button first disconnect the dryer from power source, next find your way inside the housing that contains start button then look for probably two spade terminals that are on back of button and pull them off then connect a piece of heavy guage wire between terminals and assure that no connections are touching the dryer! reconnect power supply and if dryer runs constantly you have troubleshot your appliance repair like a pro! check back if that doesnt help.

Last edited by themechanix; 01-17-05 at 04:52 PM. Reason: more specific advice
Old 01-17-05, 05:37 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
additionally

a continuity test on the button would perform same test but that requires an ohm meter and an assistant to press button if you believe that to be easier!

Old 01-17-05, 06:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello ptlmchuck107. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I also would sugest replacing the start button switch as a first attempt to solve the problem. But also be aware that may or may not resolve the problem.

Be sure the dryer is unpluged from the wall electrical recepticule. Use and ohm meter to test for continuity. Which you will find becuase the stwitch does start the motor but does not allow the motor to keep running.

Whci indicates the motors internal windings and/or parts are defective and must be repaired or replaced. Neither fixing the motor nor replacing it is going to be inexpensive. But the project can be done as a do it yourself project.

Just be sure to make a hand drawing of how the belt loops under, over and/or ontop of the pulleys, when you remove that motor to install the new motor. Some help is also provided in the dryer sticky note at the top of the forum. Includes some additional help and service advice when working on gas dryers, etc.

Dryer Help Information Sticky Note:
Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 01-21-05, 07:52 AM
ptlmchuck107
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a new starter today, should be in by Wednesday.

Old 01-21-05, 06:07 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
a starter?

hopefully that means the start button and we saved you some misery! lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: