do i fix it or replace?

Old 01-20-05, 03:27 PM
Roncorn
Visiting Guest
do i fix it or replace?

grettings,

Our whirlpool dryer is about 15 yrs old,,I have replaced the element and the sensors twice.
It has just started making a buzzing sound from the switch(i think) and when it runs it makes a louder than usual sound, almost like rubbing.
I have cleaned everything,and removed the drum and the noise is still there ,when it runs it shuts off early and wont start for a while,the motor did seem really hot when I ran it with the drum out.
As of right now it wont start at all.

Do I need a new motor or would new bearings do it?
Is it worth fixing?I know there is a website that helps you figure it out ,I have seen it discussed in this forum ,but when i try to go there it does not respond.
thanks for being here

Old 01-20-05, 04:19 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
a matter of economics

when you state that dryer would run for a while then shut off and appeared quite hot is an indication that it may have been tripping off on thermal overload. now that it wont start at all leads me to believe that the motor may have tumbled its last load. after 15 years of use the dryer certainly has earned its keep and unless it has some sentimental value you should probably consider replacing it if you have the means to do so. just my humble opinion. good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: