GE Gas Oven XL 44 Not Lighting

Old 01-25-05, 08:42 PM
miburo
Visiting Guest
GE Gas Oven XL 44 Not Lighting

Hey All. I can't find the exact model since the sticker of the oven seems to be taken off (for what reason i don't know why) but it seems to be basically an older version of this oven GE XL 44 (Note there are no electric pad controls like it says in this manual they are all knobs)

The bottom oven isn't turning on at all. The top burners work find but after turning the knob for the bottom oven nothing seems to be happening. The ingitor does not change color nor does there seem to be any smell of gas. My mom just bought this house a few weeks ago and the owner seemed to be ready shady during the closing. I came over to try to help out but have little knowledge on ovens. I tried reading through the manual with no results. Thanks a lot for your help

Old 01-27-05, 08:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Well I'll try to help. The range is plugged in right. Are there 2 burners. One for the oven and one for the broiler? If yes is there a selector switch. If only one burner may be bad igniter. Also there may be a fuse somewhere that protects the oven circuit. To test an igniter that doen't glow requires to do a continuity test across it. Does your local gas co provide service calls. Remember to unplug to do test and to locate fuse.

Old 02-07-05, 07:34 AM
miburo
Visiting Guest
Sorry, what is a continuity test again? As in to test if the electricity is working for the ignitor? The little clock on the oven is working so there is some electricty going through it. And there is no separate switch for the broiler. What i meant by top burners are the cooktop ones. Everything inside the oven is not turning on at all. There seems to not be a separate gas line for the oven also.

Old 02-07-05, 12:18 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
To test the igniter to see if there is an open circuit, you will need to disconnect the igniter wires and test thru the igniter with a continuity tester. Normaly the igniter will glow and not work, in that case an amp read would be taken. With no glow this is a place to start Have you checked for a fuse somewhere in the circuit?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: