Tappan Range Safety Valve Question

Old 02-14-05, 01:49 PM
MFalls
Visiting Guest
Question Tappan Range Safety Valve Question

I have a 1985 Tappan Gas Range, Model # 30-3989-00/02, Electronic Ignition. Other than having to replace the oven ignitor a few years ago, it's been great. However, we recently noticed a faint gas odor inside the oven. I borrowed a combustible gas meter from work and used it, and a lot of patience, to determine that the Oven Safety Valve is apparently not closing completely when not in use.

I did a little more digging to make sure that it was not receiving some type of "false signal" from the electronics, or at least what there was back then. No, even with the power cord unplugged, and allowing some time for any pooled gas to disipate, it still leaked when the main gas valve was opened again. There are no other discernable leaks from any other connections or components.

Does it sound correct to you folks that the Safety Valve is damaged, maybe as a a result of a recent move? It's a great stove, still in great shape and the Safety Valve does not appear to be hard to change-out. However, I do not want to stick the approx. $150.00 into it if this small gas leak will persist. Never seems to be large enough to create an explosive issue, just enough to worry/bug me.

Mucho Thanks, MFalls

ps. I did a web search for recalls on safety valves on that model stove and did not find any.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-05, 02:10 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suggest you run a soap bubble across the face of the orifice inside the burner venturi. If the bubble grows and breaks than the gas valve is bypassing. The valves are not field serviceable.

Old 02-14-05, 02:31 PM
MFalls
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I just realized that I was not clear about where it was leaking. It is leaking gas through the valve into both outgoing lines, into the oven and boiler orifices, no where else.

So, when these valves are working correctly (and assuming that they are not over pressured), there should be no discernable gas leaking into the outgoing gas lines, correct?

Thanks

Old 02-14-05, 04:19 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You were very clear. Not a good idea to use a meter in the venturi. ( ok for narrowing area of odor) I always use soap bubble across orifice.

Old 02-14-05, 08:06 PM
MFalls
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help mbk3. Now the wife has decided that she wants a new range. Oh well, I hope that I get 20 years out of the next one.

MFalls