Oven ignition inop

Old 03-07-05, 01:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oven ignition inop

My GE XL44 Oven has a dead ignition system. With the oven turned on(of course no gas flows) and I tap on the ignitor glow coil, it sometimes starts to glow and spark a little, but not much. Does anyone know how I can access the ignitor? Is it from inside or from the back? I also can't seem to find how much this thing will cost.
Thanks,
Rick

Old 03-07-05, 04:26 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
If you see a spark there may be a loose connection. To access you will have to jump in & look. On mst ovens the bootom of the oven is removeable, and exposes the igniter. If it is a flat sytle it will be a Norton (most likely). You MUST us and exact replacement value. Are you able to take an amp read?? If yes: Amp range for Norton 3.2--3.6 amps A read below indicates igniter is failing

Old 03-07-05, 05:04 PM
Thanks, normally, I would have already torn into it, but I'm in a cast with a broken leg, so whatever I do, needs to pretty efficient. Perhaps I will get help moving the thing out of it's hole. When it rains, it pours. May will be the tenth year anniversary since we had this home built, and within the last couple months, the pressure switches on both ejector, and sump pumps are acting up. The thermostad on the furnace failed, and now this oven problem.
Looking online, it looks like the ignitors are about $50 which to me seems pricey for what it is.

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 03-07-05, 05:09 PM
M
Shop a little more. May be able to find one for about $30 retail

Old 03-07-05, 06:30 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
replacement parts!

as a suggestion when looking for ignition components check your local commercial appliance parts seller. many parts they sell are quite compatible and probably aren't that "special order" part your retail salesman calls it! just my opinion but as your friendly parts guy i had to give the spiel.

Old 03-07-05, 06:37 PM
M
Hi "Friendly parts guy" I agree. I was referring to the amp value not brand.

Old 03-08-05, 06:30 PM
Here's the update. I pulled the ignitor and inspected it. There is a break in it so I ordered one. My local parts shop wanted $70 plus tax for it, So I shopped online and got it for about $30 including shipping. The unit is a replacement for the part number that I have, so I hope the universal equivelant doesn't give me too much trouble.

Ignitor - Gas Oven
P/N: WB2X9154

Thanks again,
Rick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: