Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

Is it a law? Do newly installed gas hot water heaters need to be put on a platform.

Is it a law? Do newly installed gas hot water heaters need to be put on a platform.

Old 03-13-05, 03:02 PM
Kati
Visiting Guest

My rental hot water heater failed and was replaced by the gas co. I told the plumbers installing the (A.O.Smith) heater that I occasionally had a wet basement. The new heater was put directly on the floor. 3 days later, my basement had 2 inches of water - the pilot went out. I tried to use the electric ignitor several times, but it wouldn't light. I received a couple of shocks in the process. I called the gas co. They couldn't get it started due to moisture. Charged $70 for visit. Want $130 to pull it out and install new one and if the one they installed last week is broken, I owe them $450. The plumbers who installed it had trouble getting it going in the first place - said that electric ignitors were 'quirky'. Should they have installed it on a platform? Am I really responsible for all those charges?

Old 03-13-05, 03:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it is a rental unit, you are probably responsible for damages. Most localities require a permit to install a water heater. Permit means inspection after installation. Many places are requiring gas water heaters to be put on a stand 18" off the floor for safety reasons. (not flooding). If no stand is required and the plumber installed it correctly, you will be liable unless you specifically asked for it to be mounted on a stand. Your homeowners insurance may cover the costs. I know this is not what you wanted to hear but thats the way it is. Good luck.

Old 03-13-05, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Call and ask code there where you are just what is what. The only time I know of for the gas hot water heater to be up off the floor is in a garage. Id get me 3 8" cement blocks and set it up on them to keep it out of the water .

ED

Old 03-14-05, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
> I told the plumbers installing the (A.O.Smith) heater that I occasionally
> had a wet basement. The new heater was put directly on the floor.
> 3 days later, my basement had 2 inches of water - the pilot went out.

I don't see any link between the pilot going out and your water leak.
It sounds like that's exactly what you have, a leak, and since you had it before the new heater, it probably wasn't the plumbers installation.

What it COULD be, is the T&P valve, if it is vented anywhere but to the outside. It possible either the heater was set to high, or the valve was defective (just because it's new doesn't mean it works!).

> Charged $70 for visit. Want $130 to pull it out and install new one
> and if the one they installed last week is broken, I owe them $450.

If the one they installed last week is broken, perhaps they should be paying you, not the other way around...

> The plumbers who installed it had trouble getting it going in the
> first place - said that electric ignitors were 'quirky'.

My experience with electric/electronic ignitors is just the opposite, I find them to be reliable, and much preferred over standing pilots.

> Should they have installed it on a platform?

As mentioned, and I agree, I believe the only requirement for a platform is when installed in a garage.

> Am I really responsible for all those charges?

If the heater is defective, it's warranty should cover it, unless of course, it's warranty excludes commercial use.

Old 03-14-05, 04:22 PM
Kati
Visiting Guest
Water Heater

Thanks, Pendragon. I haven't resolved this yet with the gas co. Your input is very helpful. Because the gas man took it apart, I can't retry it to see if I could get it going. Your info may help me negotiate a less costly resolution to this problem.
K

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: