Whirlpool gas stove oven valve replacement

Old 04-07-05, 12:33 PM
gamparick
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool gas stove oven valve replacement

I have a 1998 Whirlpool gas range, model SF372BEE, which has been converted to propane and has been working fine since 1998. Lately there has been a small "pop" when the oven cycles on and off. We ahd a technician look at it today and he advised that he needed to replace an oven cotrol valve which costs $223. Does this sound correct and reasonable given the age? The stove has been working fine and the stove top burners have been no proble. We were advised that we could continue to use both the stove and the oven until the part is in (ordered) and replaced without concern. Thanks for any help or advice.

Rick Meyer, New Bern, NC

Old 04-07-05, 05:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Rick. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I cannot comment on prices. Vary from area to area and agent to agent, etc. The popping noise can be caused by the gas control valve.

May be caused by a dirty burner. Try cleaning the burner using a 2 inch paint brush. Especially in the area of the ignitor. May help resolve the condition.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 04-08-05, 02:32 AM
gamparick
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have ben doing some checking and the cost of the gas contol valve is $123, the service call is $85 and that is what seems exceptionally high. With taxes the total is around $220. I am checking into other options and also checking for the part on line as well.

Last edited by gamparick; 04-08-05 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-08-05, 09:36 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying the service call is high or the part or both.

Old 04-09-05, 02:25 AM
gamparick
Visiting Guest
The $85 service call is what I feel is high, the part cost seems to be consistent with what I'm finding on the internet. Sorry it was confusing.

Old 04-09-05, 07:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Rick

Each of us in this topic, understand how you feel about parts and the labor costs. Those aspects are understandable and acceptable. But none of us, yourself included, can control costs for local labor services nor parts costs.

This topic is provided to help make repairs to appliances. The question to you is: Have you considered fixing the appliance yourself?

This is the forum topic to learn how to do it yourself. Each of us is willing to help you by providing the advice needed to do so. Have you tried any of the already suggested possible repairs or minor services which may resolve the problem? If so, what was the final outcome? If not, do so and let us know what the results where.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: