Amana Oven won't Maintain Temp

Old 04-07-05, 02:54 PM
tandm
Visiting Guest
Amana Oven won't Maintain Temp

I have an Amana Range Model ARGS7650WW and when I turn on the oven sometimes it won't get up to temperature or if it does it wont maintain the temperature. If it does get up to temp and beeps, it won't maintain the selected temp. The front panel displays the temperature selected but when I push the Bake Button and release it, it shows the temp that it has cooled down to. I pulled out the bottom drawer and tapped on the gas valve and it opened, then the oven starts to heat again. Most of the time I have to continue doing this until we are done baking. I know this sounds like a sticky gas valve, but I'm wondering if the Control Panel isnít getting its signal from the Thermostat to let know it needs to open the gas valve to maintain the temp. Every once and awhile it will work normal so it's confusing me. Do you have any suggestions on what I should try to narrow down what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-05, 05:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome tandm to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Chances are the hot surface ignitor is too weak. Must be very hot to ignite gas. If the HSI (hot surface ignitor) is glowing, that does not mean it is doing so enough to allow the gas valve to open.

Replace the ignitor (HSI) first. Far less expensive that the computer board and very likely to resolve the problem.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Advertisers & Sponsors Web Sites:
Appliance Parts, Pictures & Help:
http://www.PartSelect.com

Appliances Parts & Help:
http://www.pcappliancerepair.com

Kitchen Appliance Parts:
http://www.parts-depot.online.com

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 09-30-06 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-29-06, 07:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with my Amana ARGS7650WW

I have the same problem with my Amana ARGS7650WW. I have replaced the Main Valve and the Valve Shut-off and tested all electrical connection. The problem remains.

Were you successful in fixing this problem and how?

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 09-30-06 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-30-06, 04:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Question Clarification Requested

Hello: michlav

Some confusion here. Kindly clarify.

Exactly which parts did you replace?

The glowing host surface igniter? (HSI)

The gas valve? (Supplies gas to the burner)

If both parts noted above where replaced, chances are the appliance would be operating as it was when it was new.

Therefore, since it presently isn't working, there has to be something not mentioned here.

Or the parts already replaced are not those which are advise to be replaced. Kindly clarify exactly which parts where replaced. No need to highlight the replies, questions, etc.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-06, 08:08 PM
M
Thank you Sharp Advice. I finally replaced the glowing host surface igniter and it resolved my problem. The stove is now operating like a new one.

Thanks.

Moderators Notes:
You're welcomed michlav.
Glad the provided information resolved the problem....

Quoted text removed only.
Quoting prior posts text will not appear as intneded.
Software does not allow it at this time. Upgrades in progress.
Quoting is/or can become a distraction.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-07-06 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-19-08, 05:15 PM
B
same range, same problem.

I also own the same gas range, Amana ARGS7650, and I am also experiencing the same problem. I will attempt the HSI fix first. I am getting gas on all four of the burners, so it sounds as if the HSI will fix it. (&&) Thanks for your posts ~ I hope they help me.

~B

Old 05-12-08, 07:34 PM
M
I have a similar problem. My board went out awhile back. (My ignitors don't work for the top of the stove and the clock would not work without the oven being on.) Now my oven will not work at all. I'm getting power from the board through the bake and broil ignitors to the gas valve. The burners on top continue to work. I'm thinking the gas valve is bad, but I'm not sure if there is anything else that could be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 05-13-08, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Mark and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

You posted to an older thread. You stated you have the same problem? Same as who's problem? Which problem? Glow igniter that did not glow?

Igniter that does not glow? If so, replace it. Should resolve the problem. Best bet is to also replace the gas control valve. Doing so would better insure proper operation the first time the repair is done.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-15-08, 04:38 PM
M
Thanks for the reply.
As I stated in the other post, I was getting proper voltage through my ignitors and to my gas valve so I was assuming that the ignitors were working. After reading your post I decided to look to see that they were glowing brightly. All looked ok, so I took a small hammer and tapped the gas valve. The oven started working properly...I was so happy. Now I have to tap the valve everytime I want to use the oven....hehe. I'm ordering a valve today.
I'm glad I found this place..........I will use it often.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Old 07-11-08, 02:43 PM
Question Similar problem w/Amana args7650

We just purchased a house with the above model. Our oven takes about 1 minute to heat 1 degree. I've never tried going futher than 175 degrees to see how hot it will get.

I am trying to adjust the airflow to the oven burner per the owner's manual. But, I can't even find the area of the oven range where the airflow adjusters are!! According to the manual, after removing the lower drawer, there should be a cover plate in the "center, rear of storage drawer cavity." Behind that are my airflow adjuster screws. I can't find any cover, and I don't see anything that looks like the adjustment in the manual.

You all will know more than I about the general location of the airflow paraphernalia. Are they supposed to be in back with all the wiring and gas valve fittings? Should I be able to see them when I look directly back in the cavity? Or, are they up above the cavity in the space leading to the oven? It says I should remove a Z-shaped cover plate to get access to the airflow paraphernalia. I can't see ANY Z-shaped anything, nor can I see 2 screw holes to indicate a cover used to be there and is missing.

How big is the airflow shutter lock screw and orifice hood? Are they tiny so it's easy for me to miss? Are they big enough to be easily found?

When I turn the oven on without the storage drawer, I see reflected yellow light coming from the cavity in the rear that is above the storage drawer cavity. That's not a good sign. Gas flames are supposed to be blue. I'd really like to try adjusting the air flow on my own before having a repairman out.

I've asked Amana to send me some type of schematic to help me. Don't know if they'll be able to do so. Can you help me? All I see in the center rear of the storage drawer cavity is a large pipe heading up into the oven.

Thank you!

Old 11-26-10, 04:48 AM
R
Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I tried to preheat my oven to 350. A few minutes later it beeps, but according to my thermometer (separately purchased that i have in the oven) it says that the oven is only at 250. The real temperature is lower and lower every time I light it despite the oven digital thermometer saying it is at 350. Lately the oven cant even reach the desired temperature unless I turn it up much higher. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 11-26-10, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Rich R.

Similar problem? Same problem more like it. Solution: Replace the HSI. (Hot Surface Igniter) Chances are doing so will resolve the problem. As it has done for almost everyone who has the same oven problem you're having and as already explained in this thread.