Chambers Stove (Oven Ignition)

Old 05-09-05, 08:37 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chambers Stove (Oven Ignition)

I am in the process of purchasing an older home (1941) that has a Chambers oven in the kitchen. During the home inspection the burners lit without a problem, however we were unable to find where to light the pilot in the oven. We looked pretty thoroughly and came up with nothing. I have never dealt with a gas oven before so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jess

Old 05-09-05, 06:01 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Its been along time since I worked on a Chambers or Maytag range. Are you sure this is not a match lit oven. (no standing pilot) Open oven door and look for a flash tube going down to the burner

Old 05-10-05, 07:30 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We couldn't even find a place where a match could go. I also do not believe it is match lit b/c in order to get to the burner, you would have to remove the racks along with an extremely heavy iron or metal plate on the bottom. Lord, I hope that is not the case in order for me to use the oven! Thanks for your response, though!

Old 05-14-05, 06:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Gymflip17

One primary factor is not the age of the home but rather the age of the appliance. If that appliance is the same age as the home, it may very well indeed be a "Match Lit" oven. Meaning there is no constantly burning (always on) pilot.

If the oven is a match light oven, there will be an ignition hole on in the front of the bottom plate. In that hole is where ignition should take place when a stick match is place slightly into the hole when the burner is turned on.

Or the burner can be manually lighted from the bottom by opening the broiler compartment door and holding a lighted match along side the burner and than turning on the thermostat.

Cautionary Note: DO NOT turn on the burner until the match or another source of ignition is placed near the burner!

A true match lite oven will have a thin aluminum tube in the back left corner of the oven near the burner. Once the burner is lite, that tube will have a constantly on and burning flame. As long as the oven is turned on. That flame is there to provide a constance source of ignition (relite) the burner should the flames go out for any reason while the oven is in usage.

Knowing the exact year model of the appliance would be very helpful. May or may not be the appliance which was installed when the house was first built. Look for a rating plate under the top lid, in the oven and/or broiler compartment, etc. Provide the number(s), if possible.

Side Note:
Some but not all stoves, during that time year time period, did have constant burning top burner pilots, while the ovens and/or broilers did not have pilots. Some ovens/broilers, whether combined units (one burner for both) or individual compartments with seperate burners, where, in fact, match lite burners. (Match lite, meaning no constant burning pilots)

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-14-05 at 06:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: