gas oven overheating

Old 05-22-05, 10:04 AM
pinehurst
Visiting Guest
gas oven overheating

I have a hotpoint gas stove model rgb745gev3ad. The oven was under cooking and the lght on the control panel beside the thermosatat would flicker. The repairman told me it was the clock system that controled everything. Instead of paying the high fee I ordered an new clock. I unplugged all of the wires and plugged the new clock in. It worked fine just like the old clock but the oven light still flickered and the oven cooked the same. The thermostat had a small switch mounted to it with wires and it was cracked. I had to order the whole thermostat to get the switch. I replaced the thermostat and now the clock does not work and the oven over cooks. I put the old clock(ECR) back in and now it doesn't work either. If I switch the thermostat to clean the clock comes on and I can set it etc. If I move the switch to bake or a timed baked the clock goes off. This works the same with the old components installed also. Any ideas?

Scott

Old 05-22-05, 07:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Scott and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Based on the info provided, there is likely to be a bad connection or inproper connection somewhere, or a defective part, new or not. Might also be the location of the sensing element in the baking compartment or an obstruction within the baking compartment. Lile foil on the racks? maybe or on the lower pan? Some area where the heat is being diverted and not allowed to free flow upwards, etc. Lots of possibilities.

The ECR does not exactly control everything. But it does get signals from sensors, switches, controls etc. Likehood is the thremostat was the originally defective part. Now hard to say exactly the cause with all the parts changes and connections made.

Be sure all connections are correct and tight. Check all the terminals for good connections. Be sure the temp sensor is correctly installed, not in contact with any other part other than the holding clips, etc. Remove an obstructions in the oven compartment, etc.

If the oven temp is too low the oven would be undercooking based on the temp and not always the time. Your original statement was undercooking and also overheating? Confusing....

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: