re: install free standing gas range

Old 05-29-05, 04:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re: install free standing gas range

I plan to replace the exisiting gas range. I have never done anything like this on my own. I just checked the cost to install and its ~100. So I wonder if I can do this on my own? Do I have to turn off the gas for oour entire house? Will it affect the gas (or pilot light) for our furnace/water heater? where I can find step-by-step guide to install. Is there any compatability I need to check before buying?

Old 05-29-05, 07:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: sethuvs. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

This topic deals mostly with minor repairs to appliances. Coonecting appliances is often best left to professionals. Much depends upon the type of fuel. Natural gas or propane?

What is already there? Meaning, is there an existing shut off valve on the nat gas supply pipe? On the propane line?

Connection methods, vary based on the fuel type, if there is already a shut off valve and if that valve is the old style or the new style. May have to replace the valve, which would require the entire gas supply to the entire house be shut off first.

Plenty of specific detailed info still needs to be known before any specific or detailed connection information can be provided. If you are not handy with hand tools, have minor experiences working with gas and the connections parts, may be best to contact a pro and have the connection done professionally. Often time well worth the cost for peace of mind.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-29-05, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ranges usually have a shutoff valve behind. If there is not one, you would be required to install on prior to installing a new range.

Two issues often come up:

1) Depending on the age of your house, the gas valve behind the range may have a 5/8 flare outlet. This valve must be replaced because they do not make 5/8 flare flex connectors anymore. The flex connector is also required to be replaced.
If your valve has a 1/2" flare, this can be used but the flex connector will be smaller than recommended by the range manufacturer. They will recommend a 5/8 tubing with 15/16 thread on the flare nut.

2) Ranges usually have an area of clearance for the valve and connector, so that the range can be flush to the wall. Murphy's law states that the new range always wants the valve high if your valve is low ( or vice versa)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: