Gas Oven Lights but won't heat up-help

Old 06-07-05, 12:28 PM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Oven Lights but won't heat up-help

Hi,
I am the owner of a Magic Chef electric control (sealed burners) gas range and oven (model # 34HA-5TKVW). I would guess the range is about 17 years old.

The oven has worked fine until last week when we noticed it taking more than 30 minutes to reach 325 degrees. The fire was lit but it just could not get hot enough.

The range works fine and all 4 burners will light and stay on high so I know the unit has enough gas coming in.

Any ideas why this oven won't reach the correct temperature? Note it will reach lower temperatures like 180 degrees over time just not higher temps.

Any thoughts?

rich

Old 06-07-05, 06:59 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I don't have time to research this model ,I am assuming it has a hot surface igniter for a safety and ignition system. If it does have this system I would bet the igniter is weak. If you have a meter and know to take an amp read at the HSI do so and report back with the reads. If you don't and don't mind just changing parts just replace igniter with like kind (meaning size and amp range which is on the gas valve) and we will hope all is well.

Old 06-15-05, 05:21 AM
Q
You are right. I pulled the igniter and the hot surface has a visible break in it. Of course the part number is partially missing as it printed off the side. I am going to call around and see about where to get one. If you have any suggestions I am happy to take them as long as that doesn’t violate the posting rules.

Looks like it has 3 numbers on it: 7432P052-60 is the only one I can read completely. Model No 5V1A (I am guessing) and then it says Norton 8952 (that 2 could be a 3).

Thanks again for your help.
Best,
Rich

Old 06-15-05, 04:50 PM
M
Just take it with you to the appliance parts store. Norton has its value (3.2--3.6) What you need is the same physical size and mounting

Old 06-24-05, 12:35 PM
Q
Talking Thanks.

Thanks I picked one up locally the same day I responded to you and had it in the oven in about 30 minutes. Works great again (until the next thing).

You message saved me a bunch of time and money .
Best,
rich

Old 06-24-05, 02:12 PM
M
Thank you for responding and the kind words. Most posters ask a question and thats the last anyone hears from them. Its always nice to know how advice is received and how correct it may be. Sometimes very difficult to come up with the right answer without actually truobleshooting.

Old 07-18-05, 09:03 PM
MagicLessChef
Visiting Guest
My Magicless Magic Chef Gas Oven Does Not Heat Up

Hello Everyone. I was reading about quikrch's problem with his Magic Chef and it sounds like you were able to help him put the Magic back into it, so I hope someone out there can share their thoughts with the concerns we're having with ours...AGAIN, 4th time around.

Our model number is a little different, it's 34HA 3TKXW and we also have an electronic panel.

We replaced both the upper and lower ignitors less than a year ago and again the oven just won't kick on. We can set it, it glows at us, but that's it. The broiler flame does come on.

The first and only warning we ever get with this concern is the length of time it takes for the oven to heat up....30 minutes for 350 degrees. Once this starts to happen, it's not long before the whole thing starts all over again.

We had it repaired by Magtag the first two times at $145 a pop and this was just for the lower ignitor only.

The third time, which was less than a year ago, we were able to replace the upper and lower for roughly $130 total. We thought we would be set and could hold off on purchasing a new oven. Wrong! Here we are again on round four.

I have no idea why this keeps happening and we are quite frustrated at this point. There must be something causing this to happen.

Has anyone out there ever experienced this? Does anyone have a solution other than pushing it to the road side?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Rose

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: