Kenmore Gas dryer door pops open

Old 06-30-05, 05:38 AM
hvarma05
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Gas dryer door pops open

I have a 5 year old Kenmore Elite Gas Dryer. The dryer door keeps popping open even though I replaced the latch mechanism. Does any one have any idea why this is happening? Could it be that the gasket has expanded due to heat, and needs replacing?

Thanks,

Hemant

Old 06-30-05, 06:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Welcome Hemant to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

There is usually more than one possibility for most problems. We often think of the mechanical parts in cases such as these. Not always the direct cause.

If the latching device is properly install and the door functions correctly when the dryer is not running, below may be the cause. One that is not often thought of and can be missed by a pro.

A restricted exhaust venting system puts a slightly higher positive pressure inside the drum and against the door. Not always enough to pop the door open by itself. However, any article inside the drum that dumps or bangs in to the door will often be just enough to pop the door open.

Check the entire exhaust venting system for restictions, including the exhaust hoods flapper door. Flapper door must open and close freely. Next check for kinks and bends in any flex venting tube that might be used.

Also clean out the inside cabinet of the dryer, the internal venting system and check the blower fan cage area. All lint must be removed to allow free flowing air and prevent fires.

Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-01-05, 07:14 AM
hvarma05
Visiting Guest
RE: Kenmore Dryer door pops open

Thanks for all the information and pointers to useful links. This is great!
After analyzing further, I have a couple of questions. When the dryer has cooled down completely, the door shuts fine, but when it has heated up after a load, the door pops open. Could it be that the gasket rubber expands when heated and causes it to shut? Maybe it is just the obstructions in the venting, that you mentioned earlier, could be the problem.. I guess I have to open it up!

-Hemant

Old 07-02-05, 08:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Hemant

Both could be contributing to the door popping open problem. An expanding door gasket and/or excessive back pressure. I recommend checking the exhaust venting system first. It's the quickest and easiest.

Remove the vent tube from the back of the machine and run a test load or two. The results may provide the answer. Replacing the door gasket may be required or a good idea if the gasket is worn, weak and/or damaged, etc.

The door gasket material is manufactured to control expansion and not as likely to expand excessively. But that is a possibility. So are bent hindges, brackets or a bent door frame, out of alignment door, defective latch, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: