Kenmore Dryer Shuts Down Automatically

Old 07-10-05, 10:25 AM
Fran Sims
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dryer Shuts Down Automatically

I have a Kenmore 90 Series Gas Dryer that shuts down after running about 15-20 minutes. I'll start it up in timed drying mode, and it runs fine, but after about 17 minutes, it shuts down completely. When I hit the button to restart it, it won't restart, but if I wait about 30 minutes (after it cools down) it starts right up. But then it shuts down again after another 15-20 minutes. I was told that a bad thermal fuse can cause this problem, so I replaced it, but that hasn't seemed to help. Am I missing something?

Old 07-11-05, 08:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Several Possibilities

Hello Fran Sims. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Possible the electric motor is over-heating and shutting down. May have to remove it and have it tested at a local electric motor repiar shop. When it shuts down touch the motor and try to determine if the motor is excessively hot.

Clean the are inside the cabinet area around the motor. Blow out the dust in and/or on the motor. Remove the exhaust venting system. Exhaust system may be restricted or blocked. Exhaust vent hoods internal trap door may not be opening fully, etc. May be cycling off on high limit. Run machine without the vent connected and note any changes.

Dryer help info: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Sears Appliance Parts & Repair:
Sears Home Page:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model Number Page:
http://www3.sears.com

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve the problem.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: