Gas BBQ whining noise

Old 07-18-05, 01:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas BBQ whining noise

Hi, I'm having trouble with my gas BBQ making a whining noise, rather loudly when all 3 burners are on. Is this caused by air in the lines? I just had the tank refilled and the noise started after I did that. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-18-05, 03:56 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Typically that type of sound is caused by an undersized gas connector.

Old 07-18-05, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by mbk3
Typically that type of sound is caused by an undersized gas connector.
Hmm, I don't think I understand. I bought this grille probably 2 years ago and its worked fine up till about 2 weeks ago and I have this noise. Wouldn't the BBQ manufacturer have supplied the right size gas connector to use with the standard tanks? Thanks for the reply, but I don't know if I understand what you mean

Old 07-18-05, 05:20 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Additional Possibilities

Hello: Lifted96Chevy

There may be an obstruction (spider web) inside one or more of the burner tubes. Remove burners and inspect the burner tubes. The noise is often caused by such or can be.

Another possibility may be lean burners. Meaning the air to fuel ration is too lean, to much air getting into the air shutters on the burners. If no obstructions exist in the burners, slightly close the shutters. But not so much as to cause too much yellow in the flames.

BBQ's can have slightly yellowed tipped burners and not cause any harm. Once the shutters are correctly adjusted, the noise will be gone and the flames will not be too yellowed, except near the tips of the flames. Perfectly normal to have slightly yellowed tips on the flames. It's a BBQ!...

If the regulator is on the grille and not on the tank, chances are it's okay. If the regulator is on the tank, may be defective and/or damged, effecting the fuel flow. I have seen cases such as this.

May have to replace a tank regulator to stop the noise which is also causing burner problems, such as too much gas. Which causes excessively large burner flames, noise and several other problem not yet noticed.

Old 07-20-05, 09:33 PM
Ok guys, here's an update, I found my owners manual and in the FAQ section of the manual it mentions that the regulator may make a humming or whining noise when the temperature changes dramatically and humidity is a factor. Well just in the last week our temperatures have gone from mid 90's to over 105 for the past 7 or 8 days. Humid too, so when the weather cools down a bit, I should notice the noise going away. I'll keep everyone posted as someone else may have a similar problem in the future

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: