AMANA oven temp won't rise

Old 07-18-05, 09:26 AM
KZAUNER
Visiting Guest
Unhappy AMANA oven temp won't rise

I have an 11 year old Amana gas range Model AGS761L serial Number 9406258113. The oven only heats to 240 degrees. I suspect that the termostat is shot, also it was taking longer than normal to fire-up the oven (lower burner), which would indicate the need to replace the ignitor. Is it cost effective to replace both or is it time to replace the stove? What would be the approx cost of the parts and are they relatively easy to access? Should I replace both?

Not cooking with gas.

Old 07-18-05, 05:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: KZAUNER

Check the control panel selections. Be sure the thermostat and/or any other optional selections are not set in the "Keep Warm" cycle. Often a problem when temp does not go above the temp you mentioned.

Also be sure the temp sensing element inside the oven is in place. Should be suspended by two clips and not in contact with anything but the support clips.

The delayed burner start up is often caused by a weak hot surface ignitor. (HSI). Replacing that part is not costly nor difficult. All how to's are explained in the sticky note within this forum topic. Worth reading.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Thermostat are not inexpensive and should be the last part to be replaced, in my opinion. Local appliance parts stores have the parts. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: