Kenmore Range ignitor turns on but no gas.

Old 07-18-05, 11:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Kenmore Range ignitor turns on but the gas never turns on.

Hello,
I have a Kenmore Range oven, only about 6 years old I think. Anyways, when the oven is turned on, the ignitor lights up, but the gas never turns on. The broiler, which I assume works on the same concept has it's ignitor turn on, then after 30 seconds or so, the gas turns on. It seems as though both of these parts are commonly attached to the valve/gas combo part. Is there a timing mechanism in there that might be malfunctioning?

Thanks,
Spencer

Last edited by sjscribn; 07-19-05 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 07:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Spencer. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Common problem when the ignitor is weak. Best first attempt to fix the problem is to replace that ignitor. Unplug the appliance and remove the existing ignitor. Replace it with exact OEM ignitor.

Cautionary Notes:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first. Turn off the tiny isolation gas valve before removing the gas control valve.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

If the ignitor isn't glowing at all, the part must be replaced. Position the new hot surface ignitor exactly as you find the existing one attached. Double check all electrical connections before turning the power back on or plugging in the appliance.

If it is required to remove the burner, be sure it too gets installed exactly as you find it now. The end of the burner tube with the air shutter adjustment must be installed back onto the gas valve is bronze or brass orifice. The other end of the burner tube must be secured as it currently is.

Glowing hot surface ignitors are fragile & break easily. Handle and install the new ignitor carefully. Glowing hot surface ignitors are a non returnable and non refundable electric componet. Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs.

Most replacement ignitors come already equipped with the quick disconnect reinstalled on the wire end of the new ignitor. If not, you will have to clip off the end from the old ignitor and install it on the new ignitors wires. Polarity is not important in this case.

Try this first and note the results. If it resolves the problem, post back the results. If the new ignitor does not correct the problem, than the only other option may be to replace the gas valve.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Old 07-20-05, 03:43 PM
S
Another quick question.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take note of the color of the ignitor when I get home. A quick question though. Does the valve only turn on if the ignitor is pulling enough current? Is this why the ignitor might be a problem?? If so, can I safely check the current being drawn with a multi-meter?

Thanks again.

Spence

Old 07-20-05, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Spence

The ignitor works on resistence value as well as supplied voltage. The gas valve only needs approz. 5 volts. Thus the ignitor will use all but 5 volts when it reaches the correct resistence and temp. Answer to question: Yes.

Checking volts is only one aspect. The ignitors color is an indication only of it's condition and checking volts, resistence, ohms, etc, can help but is generally not benefical nor necessary. Changing out the ignitor is often simply the best, easiest and quickest fix, for common parts wearing out IMO.

Old 07-21-05, 09:02 AM
S
Ignitor color

So I checked the ignitor color last night compared with the color of the broiler ignitor. It was tough to tell, but it might have seemed more dim. I was wondering before I buy a $65 ignitor (I can't believe they cost that much), would it be any harm if I swap the two ignitors to verify that is where the problem is? I know I'm a penny pincher, but I'd rather not spend the 65 bucks if I can find that it is really the valve with the problem. BTW, thanks for all the good advice so far and educating me on my oven.

Spence

Old 07-21-05, 05:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Ignitor Swapping. Good Idea

Hello: Spence

Good idea swapping the two ignitors. I mentioned that before and forgot to mention it to you. Excuse me for doing so. Take the broiler one out and install it into the oven. Turn the oven on and note the results.

If the burner fires up, the old ignitor needs to be replaced. You can install the new one into the broiler since that most likely gets used less, thereby extending the ignitors life span until another swap is required.

Old 07-25-05, 12:21 PM
S
Thanks for the help

Hey,
Thanks a lot for the help and tips. The oven is working great after switching the ignitors, and interestingly enough, the broiler works fine with the oven's ignitor. Now I don't have to buy any new parts cause we rarely ever use the broiler, and it looks like it will work at least for the times we do need it.

Thanks again, saved me a bundle.

Spence

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: