Questions about range & oven

Old 07-25-05, 06:19 PM
alisoneden
Visiting Guest
Question Questions about range & oven

Hello,

I've never had a gas range before, and I just bought a home with a brand new Frigidaire gas range in it. When we use the oven, very hot air comes out of a vent-looking thing, blowing across the range. Is that supposed to happen? Also, our house fills up with smoke, even when nothing is burning. We can't even leave a smoke detector on the wall, because it goes off within 10 minutes of our oven being on. I can email a photo of the vent thing I'm referring to. It just seems like something, maybe an exhaust system, isn't working like it should, but I don't know enough about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alison

Old 07-25-05, 07:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Alison and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

A venting system is standard for all ovens. Hot air must be vented out of the oven to regulate temperature and allow for cooler room air to enter the burner compartment for the needed combustion air, etc. All very normal.

However, the smoke is not normal. Should be none unless something inside is burning or the oven is not cleaned or not cleaned well enough. A new oven, as you say it is should not emit any smoke after the initial first usage.

If the oven is new, as in a new appliance and not new to you, it may or should be under a warranty. Contacting the manufacturer may be needed or try contacting the gas utility company. Request a service check on that appliance. Some gas suppliers ofter free or low cost in home services.

A link to a web site where the photo can be seen can be included in your next reply, if the photo is on a non commerical web site.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: