Whirlpool Gas Dryer won't heat

Old 03-05-00, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL GAS DRYER THAT'S ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD. ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WON'T HEAT. I DON'T EVEN HEAR THAT LITTLE CLICK RIGHT BEFORE THE GAS COMES ON. NOTHING. NO HEAT AT ALL. I REALLY HOPE THAT THIS IS SOMETHING I CAN FIX MYSELF. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-00, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Hend7907

Most likely your gas valve has a defective solenoid. You can verify this by visually looking at the glow coils operation.

The first click you hear will ignite the glow coil. If the glow coil does glow a very bright yellow white color, that solenoid is working. If the glow coil fails to light, replace that part only. <Use caution-glow coils are not cheap and break easily.>

If the coil glows but you do not hear the second click, which opens the second gas valve to allow the gas to exit to the burner, you will need to remove the gas valve assembly and replace both solenoids.

The solenoids are located on the top of the gas valve and are black plastic coated spool looking items. They are held in place by a retaining plate.

Carefully, remove and replace them with the new ones. <They only fit on the steel rod one way.> Replace the gas valve assembly, attach the quick disconnect wire clips and soap test the gasline nut you unconnected.

If the soap test proves there isn't any gas leaks, fire up the dryer and your done.

Glow coil's cost about $50.00.
Pair of solenoids slightly less.
Cost of a cold beer for a job well done, less then $1.00...check the friggy...haha

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-30-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-09-00, 07:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information. We removed the gas solenoids took them to sears and had them tested, they were okay. Since the glow coil didn't glow we figured that was what was wrong and we replaced it$$ However, this didn't fix it. The dryer is still running but not heating. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi:Hend7907

Most likely your gas valve has a defective solenoid. You can verify this by visually looking at the glow coils operation.

The first click you hear will ignite the glow coil. If the glow coil does glow a very bright yellow white color, that solenoid is working. If the glow coil fails to light, replace that part only. <Use caution-glow coils are not cheap and break easily.>

If the coil glows but you do not hear the second click, which opens the second gas valve to allow the gas to exit to the burner, you will need to remove the gas valve assembly and replace both solenoids.

The solenoids are located on the top of the gas valve and are black plastic coated spool looking items. They are held in place by a retaining plate.

Carefully, remove and replace them with the new ones. <They only fit on the steel rod one way.> Replace the gas valve assembly, attach the quick disconnect wire clips and soap test the gasline nut you unconnected.

If the soap test proves there isn't any gas leaks, fire up the dryer and your done.

Glow coil's cost about $50.00.
Pair of solenoids slightly less.
Cost of a cold beer for a job well done, less then $1.00...check the friggy...haha

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-30-06 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-09-00, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:hend7907

Now that you have already replaced the glow coil to no avail, the solenoid coils tested fine, lets return to the basics.

Be sure ALL the controls, knobs, buttons, bells and whistles are set correctly on the controls front panel.

I always skip including the above paragraph because I do not intend to offend the appliances operator. However, this is always a possibility for the condition you have.

<And it's a quick $45.00 house call too. Turn one knob from AIR DRY to HEAT, collect the $$$ and you out of there...hahaha>

I rarely find the moisture or temperature sensors as the problem. Therefore, I go directly to the thermostat and check that puppy, which, in my career, has usually been the problem.

However, most are non serviceable and non repairable. You could could refer to the wiring diagram for checking it, which should be located on the inside of the back control panel cover.

If you have an ohm meter, check it using the wiring diagram as a guide. Start by connecting one lead to the power in tab and check for continuity in each cycle as you rotate through the normal dry cycle.

All else fails, two options. Take it in for a check. If defective, replace it. Or call your dryer repair agency and have that beer while your waiting.

BTW: Be sure to make a hand drawn wiring diagram of the wire connection locations on the thermostat before removing any wires.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-30-06 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-15-00, 06:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Hend7907:

I have a gas dryer that quit heating also. It turned out that the exhaust vent was a wee bit too clogged up with lint and was overheating the an overtemp thermostat. They cannot be repaired as Tom mentioned. After a good chimney sweep, a $50.00 service call and pocket change for the thermostat, my dryer works fine now.

Old 07-17-00, 07:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Hi, I was searching through the archives for my problem and came upon this.

My problem is like the first note in this topic, except the gas *will* light when the dryer is first turned on. When it has been running for a while, I will see the glow, but the gas will not click on.

Is this a thermostat problem? I think I checked all the thermostats and they seem to be working correctly. The venting is OK. This problem still happens when I remove the vent hose (which is new anyway). I even removed the thermostat from the exhaust housing and ran the dryer (so the thermostat doesn't get hot). But the same thing happens. This is a Frigidaire Crown, about 4 years old.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-17-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:christian

You have defined the problem perfectly.
It's one of the solenoids.

When the coils of one of these solenoids gets hot, it drops the current and the valve closes. The valve is what opens or closes the gas flow.

For reasons of safety, there are two coils. Either one could be defective. They should always be replaced in pairs. They cost about $32.00 each. They seat directly on top of the gas valve.

If you plan to purchase them, I suggest you remove them first, then write down the dryer model and serial numbers and visit the local appliance parts store.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-30-06 at 07:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: