gas oven not lighting

Old 07-20-00, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need help. I have a frigidaire oven with an electric start. The oven is on the bottom. The problem I have is that the pilot ignition comes on, but the oven doesn't light. You can leave it on for 20 mins and get nothing, but the stove top burners all work fine. Is there a regulator or a nozzel in the bottom that maybe be bad? Also, does anyone know of a site that I can buy parts on-line? The frigidaire site only seems to list electric parts. Thanks

Old 07-20-00, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:joem

Before you buy any part <many parts are not refundable> you should verify what part it may be.

Best way is to contact your gas supplier. Many offer home service. Some offer general services and can explain which part it most likely is that's causing the problem.

This general service often solves the problem too. Many times it may be something simple and no parts will be needed.

You didn't state if this appliance has a glow coil ignition or a pilot that a sparker lights. Knowing this would help.

I suspect it's a glow coil ignition system. This part is fairly costly and it is a non refundable item. It is often installed in conjunction with a gas valve, adding yet more costs and it too is non refundable.

Therefore, cost wise, it is best to know which part or parts to replace before making a purchase.

BTW: {By The Way}
The oven works independently of the top burners.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.
Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-22-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Usually when an oven won't bake, it's because the bake igniter is weak or burned out. The igniter is a small, round or rectangular device, that's about 1 inch by 4 to 8 inches. It's near the burner itself. The burner is the tube-type device the gas flows through before it's ignited. It has many small holes on the sides to let the gas, when ignited, form a long, low flame. If the igniter is weak, if it glows red but doesn't get hot enough, or if it's burned out, the gas doesn't flow to the burner and the burner won't ignite. If this is the problem, you may need to replace either the igniter or the gas safety valve. Usually the igniter is to blame.Other causes Other reasons that your oven may not bake are:

The clock settings are incorrect (if you have
timed baking or a self-cleaning oven).

The thermostat is defective.

The safety valve that prevents accidental gas
flow is defective.

The selector switch is defective

Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-00, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a gas oven with a self lighting pilot flame. not a coil pilot but a sparking pilot.
The pilot seems to be working fine but I have determined that the main gas is being stopped just short of reaching the burner..the pilot has its own gas line which is fine. I'm just trying to determine if I have a problem in the coupling, valve, or thermostat or what.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: