gas control knobs2

Old 08-06-00, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

posted August 01, 2000 01:42 AM

follow up on this.

it is for the top stove burners.

When I turn the burner all the way clockwise it clicks which ignites the flame. That still works OK.

It is the stem that is loose. No gas leak though. The control knob sticks out further than the other 3 stove top knobs. When I push it in it just pops back out.

It there a place I can get schematics of this control knob stem to see if it is just a matter of tightening something?

Moderator posted August 02, 2000 02:01 PM
I do not fully understand your question. Control knobs to what? The four top burners?

If this is correct, then one of those gas valve stems is seriously loose. In some cases with this condition, gas would leak out from the valve, at the stem.

Since there are several types and varities of top burner valves, it would be difficult to offer text instructions here.


Are you referring to the top burner control valves?

Are the valves the type that click at each flame level {3 or 4 position valves.}

One of the 4 control knobs is loose (wiggles from side to side) and is sticking out further than it should. Looking under the stove lid reveals that this control knob seems to be unhooked, disconnected from the switching unit. I can still turn the gas on and off, but would like to tighten it back up.
Old 08-06-00, 08:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a


Thanks for posting back.
I personally have never encountered a top burner gas valve where the stem was up that high or was as loose as you say yours is, that didn't leak or the stem wasn't broken and the valve worked like normal.

Most gas valves of this type are core valves. This type is a one piece valve, tapered like a cork and the stem is part of the valve. This type the core and stem are held in place with a cover plate and two small screws.

The other type is called a rotary valve. This type has a core as a seperate piece. The stem is another piece. It too has a cover plate to hold the stem and core in place.

Neither type has any instructions for repairs. Only person's I know of whom attempt repairs on only core valves are trained gas company service reps. No one attempts repairs on the rotary types.

Best advice I can offer is to replace the whole valve. Here's how:

Turn off the gas to the stove. Remove the burner and unscrew the valve, if it a core valve. <You can tell if you look closely at the vlave. It will be screwed into a round gas manifold pipe.>

Most rotary valves use CLAMPS. These use two screws to hold the clamp firmly to a SQUARE manifold gas pipe.

Once the clamp is loosened, there will be an O ring used to make the seal between the valve and the square manifold pipe.

I hope this is the information you need. I cannot think of anything else to help you here.

Good Luck,

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: