How to seal off copper gas line after appliance removal?

Old 08-11-00, 08:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Tom -
Your answers in this forum are great! Couldn't exactly find the answer to this one though...
After permanently uninstalling a gas range (replacing it with electric), I sense that I should cap or screw a plug of some kind into the female copper coupling on the end of the gas feed line (previously attached to the range). All gas valves serving this line have been shut off back at the source so there's no gas available in this copper feed line.
1) What do I use, if anything, to close off the line; 2) do I get it at Home Depot and 3) any special instructions?
Thanks a million!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-00, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Yes, you can get a brass plug to fit the female fitting. Tighten it good, and test with soapy water to make sure that nothing is leaking. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-00, 12:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks, OldGuy! I appreciate the help!

Old 08-11-00, 08:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello:CJ

Thanks for the kind words...:-)

Best thing to do is remove the copper gas line back to the steel line it should be connected to.

You should fine this steel pipe right there behind the range, sticking out of the wall.

Remove the cooper male end then plug the steel pipe <elbow in most cases or a tee in some> with a steel plug.

This makes it a permanent ending. This is also a much safer method then leaving the old copper line there.

Be sure to distroy the old copper line before discarding it. Copper is no longer legal nor safe to use with natural or propane gas almost everywhere in the country.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.