Gas dryer won't run

Old 10-18-00, 10:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi there!
Upon coming home from work today, my wife told me that our dryer was not working. It basically is not turning on. I hear the solenoid in the switch kick on (so there is electricity), and I hear the timer tick, but there is no flame and no motor movement. I checked the centrifugal switch, door switch, timer, and thermal fuse. All appear to be fine. The only thing that I checked that I have concern about is the thermostat. I have a Whirlpool dryer that has a single thermostat with 4 connections. Checking the top and bottom connection, I show zero ohms. Then I check the tabs on the sides, it reads about 6k ohms. Is this normal? The last thing that I will mention is that there is a small circuit board on the top on the dryer that is listed on the schematic as an "Electronic Control C-Version". I don't know what this does, but 2 of the larger wattage resistors get warm when I try and turn on the dryer. An IC on this board has no identification on it... maybe it got hot?? Sorry for being so long winded!!! I hope someone out there can help!!

Thanks,
Sam

Old 10-19-00, 02:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:shs123

You mentioned no motor running? You mean the drum doesn't turn, I assume.

Check for a broken belt.

You mentioned hearing one solenoid click. If the drum is turning and you heard the first solenoid click but nothing else after that, it may be a burned out glow coil or a defective solenoid.

<There are two solenoids and both must be working before the burner will fire up.> The first click lites the glow coil. Verify that second. After your sure the drum is turning.

Check the control panel too. Be sure the controls are set to normal and NOT AIR DRY or FLUFF.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: