stovetop burners go out when oven's on

Old 10-28-00, 03:34 PM
Visiting Guest
GE gas range JGBP26GEL problem: When the oven is on a higher temp (400+) the suface burners, if they light, will either blow themselves out, light partially or behave intermittently. I've had the gas pressure checked by the gas company. Separately, the oven and the burners work fine. Electronic ignition works fine, seems to be a gas/air/temp problem. Help, we're having Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Old 10-29-00, 07:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:niknar

If there isn't any restriction in the gas flex line from the wall supply pipe, the shutoff valve on the pipe or in the pipe comming out of the wall, then it's most likely the appliance regulator.

This part will be found on the stove itself on the inlet pipe. There is a tiny vent hole in this part that may have become clogged or restricted, which will cause the problem you discribed.

On rare occasions the regulator itself may become defective and need to be replaced. I suggest you contact a service agent for the repair needed.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 11-04-00, 07:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Tom, my thanks for your advice. I did replace the regulator but to no avail. Further testing led me to more info that might help the diagnosis. I think this is a temp related problem because until the oven gets up to temp(400+) everything works fine. It seems that once the oven is hot, then the burners either fade out with a rushing sound, or they won't light. Any ideas are appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: