Propane Appliances

Old 11-18-00, 06:14 AM
dobczeman
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently moved to a rural area not served by a natural gas company. The house is completely electric. Since it recently got a bit chilly around here, my electric meter is spinning like a jet engine at full afterburner. I'm considering the purchase of propane applicances, but am concerned about them leaving a "smell" in the house. I can afford high-end appliances, Viking for example. Will these appliances, properly installed, leave that pesky smell behind? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-18-00, 08:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:rcmelvin

Properly install and operating propane appliances will not cause nor leave any smell in the house.

Before you invest in appliances, have a few licensed plummers estimate the costs to install the needed house piping, storage tank and gas outlet locations.

Have that plumming work done first, then install the wanted appliances next, one at a time. I would suggest you install the heating system first, since that is the highest gas volumn using appliance.

Next would be a hot water heater, the next highest useage appliance. Stove and clothes dryer use the least gas.

As a usefully tip, be sure to have all work done by a qualified plumming contractor and get a city permit, to insure all work is done to the state and local codes.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.

Old 11-18-00, 08:10 AM
dobczeman
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for your prompt reply. Good info.

Russ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: