gas furnace wont stay burning(on/off/on/off)

Old 11-18-00, 09:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

my furnace wont stay burning. the pilot stays on, but the burners go on then off then on/off- again and again and......every 30 seconds. even when i set my thermostat at 85 deg. , it stays around 66 deg. meanwhile, my blower blows constantly. the outside temp is around 55deg days and 40deg nights. please tell me what's wrong and how to fix
thank you

Old 11-19-00, 09:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:sam

When the furnace burners cycle on/off, as you discribe, most likely it could be the air filter may be too restricted with dust/lint. If it hasn't been replaced recently, install a new one.

Another possibility is the gas valve solenoid could be defective. When the solenoid coil get hot from the electrical current holding it opened, it shorts out and the gas valve closes, shutting off the burner gas. When it cools down it reopens.

This condition will need to be determined by your heating agent so as not to have you purchase a gas valve and not have it correct the problem.

Another rare possibility could be a defective thermostat. You can test this by removing the thermostat from the wall and connecting the red and white wires together.

If it corrects the cycling problem, you found the problem. DO NOT jump the wires at the gas valve. Doing so will burnout the heat anticipator in the thermostat!

Be sure the cool air intake isn't blocked or restricted by furniture etc. and all the room registers are opened.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: