Orange 'dancing' flames from Gas Stove

Old 08-31-05, 10:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Orange 'dancing' flames from Gas Stove

Hi,

Hopefully this is easy, these symptoms were the same for my old stove so I'm fairly confident its not the new stove I just bought. When the burners are set to high the flames dance a bit and you hear some whispy noises almost like wind is blowing on the flames. Also the flames have a lot of yellow and orange in them. They are not tight around the burner either.

Also when the burner is set to the lowest settings, they almost go out.

Hopefully this is a good description.
Thanks for any help.
Balance

Old 08-31-05, 05:28 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Sounds like 2 items here. Orange is typical of dust burning. Turn on a burner and then tap the burner with a tool. You will see the flame turns orange immediately. You are simply disturbing dust in burner venturi. Now the yellow is different. Yellow indicates lack of primary air. That may mean an air shutter on the burner is closed to much or the burner is overgassed or both. Is this an old range?

Old 09-01-05, 07:31 AM
B
Hi, I went ahead and took some pics last night.
I guess after further inspection it is a blue flame at the base changing to orange at the tips. not really yellow at all.

The stove is BRAND NEW, purchased from sears, it is a Kenmore. the old stove was a Magic Chef, it had the same style burners and the same symptoms as the new stove. I took the burner off and tapped it to get any dust off, but did nothing to change the issue, the issue is the same for all five burners and was also the case for all four on the old stove. Since this happened with both the new and the old stove, i didnt' think it was an appliance issue so i posted in the Plumbing/Piping forum but the OP moved it here. Hopefully someone can shed some light. Thanks!

Here is a link to a video clip i took, might take a bit to load off my pc.
http://thebasement.no-ip.org/photos/...s/mvi_1615.avi

here are a couple pics:
http://thebasement.no-ip.org/photos/unlisted/stove/

and here is a link to sears for the stove I own:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...tanding+Ranges

Old 09-01-05, 08:51 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Don't be concerned about orange. Just dust in the air as long as you have cleaned burner. You can make every burner burn orange by tapping when it is burning

Old 09-01-05, 09:32 AM
B
but it is always orange thats ok?

what about it moving around like there is a breeze on it? I just expected it to be very uniform burning and all blue. the flames move around alot. Just the way it is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: