Pilot light problems

Old 09-01-05, 01:35 PM
msgaia
Visiting Guest
Pilot light problems

I have a countertop gas stove which is fed by propane tank outside of my house. This morning when I went to make coffee the burner would not light. I pull up the stove top and the pilot light was not on. I lit the pilot light and a small flame appeared. It was a very low flame and when I tried to turn on the burner it came on but this flame was very low and within 3 mintues or so went out completely. Could it be a pressure problem?

Old 09-01-05, 05:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: msgaia

If there are other gas appliances and the problem does not exist with those appliances, the problem exists only in the stove top. If the stove top is the only gas appliances, check the propane supply tank. May be an empty tank, defective regulator at or on the tank or the supply line from the tank is restricted, etc.

Contact the propane supplier first before suspecting the stove top, unless there are others gas appliances. Pressure may be all or part of the problem cause. Contact the supplier. The idea is not to suspect the appliance having a problem, until it is positive the gas supply is not the problem.

Based upon the problem description, most likely a restricted fuel supply, isolation valve (behind the stove or under the counter top) is turned off or not on fully. If all other possible causes an not found to be the direct cause, the appliance regulator may be defective. That part would than need to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: