Gas dryer ignites, the immediatly shuts off

Old 09-10-05, 08:13 AM
roadglide98
Visiting Guest
Gas dryer ignites, the immediatly shuts off

I have an older model Westinghoure Gas Dryer. It has recently stopped working, in the sense that it does not completely dry the clothes.\
I pulled the front panel off, and can see the igniter glow orange, the gas ignites, igniter turns off, then the flame stops.
Not having watched what happens when it works as expected, what keeps the flame burning? Is this an igniter problem, or some other part.
Is this something I can repair myself?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-05, 08:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello roadglide98. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Common condition that happens when one of the two solenoids, which are located on top of the gas valve, drops out. May also be a restricted or blocked exhaust venting system or a defective flame sensor, which is located on the burner shroud housing.

I suggest you first totally disconnect the entire venting system from the dryer. Dry a load of clothes as a test. During that operation, with the venting tube removed, note what happens.

If normal drying occurs, the vent system is the cause. Clean and/or clear as needed. Additional details contained in the help link. If the problem/condition remains, part(s) are defective. Read the contents in the help link information and those within the existing posts on this condition with dryers.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve the problem.

Gas Dryer Help Link: here:

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 09-10-05, 03:29 PM
roadglide98
Visiting Guest
I appreciate your assistance. With your information, and the link, I was able to find that the problem was that of the rear(2 connector) solonoid.

Now I seem to have a different problem, the exhaust smells "gassy". I do know that I need to replace the timer. While I can rotate the timer to any location of an "on" position, it does not move from there, once the dryer starts. Could the timer and smell be related? Maybe my solonoid problem was caused by the timer malfuction?

Old 09-10-05, 05:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: roadglide98

The smell/odor may be totally unrelated. Unless you did more than simply replace the two solenoids. Check for a gas leak at the connections from the gas supply and the nex nut you removed to remove the burner assembly.

If the smell has the odor of kerosene or diesel fuel, may be the result of a petroleum product recently used. Any product that contains a flammable solvent or oil based product will do this. Creates a smell of diesel fumes.

Clean out any dust and lint inside and around the burner assembly, etc. The burner flame color should be blue. Some orange is okay. No yellow.

Timer not advancing may be the timer, which has gone defective. Or the temperature thermostat has failed. Neither is likely the cause, if the machine did not have that problem prior or not mentioned work was done to the appliance. When you replaced the solenoids, did you do additional work? Replace other parts? Remove wires? Something else likely resulted.

Sharp Advice.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 09-14-05, 01:56 PM
roadglide98
Visiting Guest
Only replaced the solonoids. I did not have to remove any other component.
I did verify that the timer is bad, so going to replace that next. If that doesn't work, guess I'll have to call in an "expert".

Thanks for your advise so far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: